Brain

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by shoebox, Mar 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

I love the way all the brain corals look.Bright colors just really cool. Question is was reading about [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oulophyllia it is maze brain coral. And they say it extends long sweeper tentacles. So what do you put near it and I am guessing it doesn't move on its own. But the Candy cane does the same thing. How do you go about placing these king of things. Thanks for the help.
    [/FONT]

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

It really depends on the type of coral. candy canes send out very short tentacles while corals such as the bubble sends out quite long ones.
    My best advice would be to observe the sweeper tentacles at night and then decide how far you want to put other corals from it.
    A safe distance would be to place other corals about 4-6 inches away from the full polyp extension of these type of corals.

4. shoebox

Thanks, Are these sweepers looking for food or are they defending there territory.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Both really, they send them out primarily for food but also to defend their territory to compete for their food.

6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I have a galaxia which is an LPS known for its long sweepers and being a very agressive coral. I isolated him in my tank for months until I realized he wasnt very agressive at all. I know have him in close proximity to my torch, acans and acouple zoa colonies and he never messes with them.

I guess the moral here is you may have to look at the exact specimen to know forsure.

7. shoebox

OK thanks I have been looking and there all kinds of brain corals available. Can't wait to go shopping.