Brain not looking so good!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by IBMGeek, Oct 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Well before i went on vacation for 2 weeks my brain looked like this
    [​IMG]

now when i came back it turned white and it looked like this
    [​IMG]

What could be the problem? Everything else looks good, calcium is where it should be and my shrimp or fish or other corals look ok.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Maybe it missed you? :)

Ok seriously... what other tests did you do? Did your skimmer overflow while you were gone?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im having something similar with my open brain and I think it had to do with my cal and alk levels being to high. test your water for everything that you can. Luna

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Did you have any issues regarding salt creep on your lighting fixture lessening the available light to your coral? One other thing, maybe the temperature in your tank fluxuated too much causing bleaching of your brain which is ultimately what you have with your brain.
    Check your pH and alkalinity also.
    There is still hope for your coral as this is your corals way of a last ditch effort to survive by ridding itself of its host zooxanthellae! You just need to act fast and determine the reason and correct the issue!

6. IBMGeek

Ill do some test later and post the results, but what seems strange is that the only one that got bleached was this brain. I have an open brain and it seems fine. Also my shrimp has not died which is my most sensitive thing in my tank i guess.

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

my open brain did that for no appearent reason a month after a got it and has taken several months to return to its original state.

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

IMO, corals are more demanding than shrimp atleast from my experience!
    Hopefully your Brain will come back full circle!

10. IBMGeek

I always taught that shrimp and other similiar invertebrates were harder to keep since they are really sensitive to changes such as temp,sg,nitrates etc.. Thanks

11. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Good luck with your coral! I hope it recovers. Was your lighting automated while you were gone? Anything go different that you know of while you were away?

12. IBMGeek

Not that I know off. Unless the power went out and made the tank temp rise but I dont think so because the other inhabitants would have suffered as well . I have the lights controlled by the lighthouse aquarium controller and the lighting schedule hast changed for months.