Brain Drain?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by bluetang08, May 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I am puzzled by the recent status of my two brain corals (Wellsophylia and Trachyphilia). I have over thirty species of coral including SPS, two clams, an Elegance, and a Scolymia, which to me should all be more sensitive than the brains, however the two brains are the only noticeable coral with signs of stress. They have basically shrank and I noticed the skeleton showing slightly on the Wellsy and the Trachy has a slight brownish hue now. I did about a 15% WC last night, Ill be able to see the effects today when I get home from work. Im also planning a 25% WC for Sat. One other thing do you think one of my fish may be irritating them? I have had these coral for several months so I discarded the bad fish theory but who knows. Any suggestions and advise appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Do you target feed them ever?

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I am losing my trachy too... I do spot feed it (or did rather, no tentacles anymore). The reason is this darn bi-color blenny nipping at it to death. It doesn't mess with any of my other corals, just the trachy (which is the only brain I have (almost literally))

5. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I dont spot feed any of my coral I was in the belief that my fuge and copepod population was sufficient.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my trachy required food... for it to look nice anyway.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Spot feed it, and check the skeleton for any cyano/algae. If it's there, scrub/brush/scrape it off - they hate having it on them. Then bury the trachy/wellso until the skeleton is fully covered by sand. This made mine immensely more happy than before, when it had a tiny bit of hair algae.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

what? are you saying to bury the coral? how long can it survive submerged in the sand? Maybe I'm not getting what you mean...

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This is going to depend on your system. In some tanks no feeding is necessary, in other tanks it is. (Think about how much tissue many brain corals have to support).

11. blackraven1425

No, if a trachy/wellso has exposed skeleton (retracted from the bottom, not in the top section), you bury the skeleton part in the sand after scraping off any algae or cyano that's growing on it, to prevent it from growing back. They're really sensitive to having stuff growing on their skeletons, and mine wouldn't stretch its outer rim nearly at all until I got it off and buried the exposed skeleton so it couldn't grow back.

EDIT: I'll throw up a pic to help explain. Gimme a minute.

12. blackraven1425

I mean, if there's any photosynthetic corals to spot feed, it would be trachys/wellsos