Brain corals how much light

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by djnzlab1, Aug 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    I ve been pretty luck with most soft corals, and was looking at some green brain coral can you keep it without special lights like halides.
    Doug

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Stick with those softies man...lot prettier and require much less light.

4. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Green brains require more lighting than the red or pink ones. They like to be on the substrate, if you have metal halides I don't see a problem with getting a brain. I have a green brain in my tank and my hubby has an australian acan in his. Both are happy. Brains are considered a fairly easy coral to keep as long as your water perameters are in check and your lighting is good. If you get one remember to target feed it weekly, they like that.

If you get one find out what lighting they are being kept under when you purchase it and acclimate it properly. Mine was mid tank at the store under MH and it wasn't doing very good, in my tank it is getting back to what it should look like.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I love my softies but i really like my brain corals alot.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have kept both, green and red Lobophyllia brains under power compacts in my 75 gallon tank with great results. I now have them under 250halides, but you should be able to keep them under other lighting schemes.
    Water parameters, some water flow and possibly target feeding them will help to ensure their success in your tank as well.

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

I also have red lobophyllia brain, I keep under PC lights. I had it for a few years and it still doing well.

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I just added a green open brain and was wondering what you guys use to target feed yours?

10. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

I think a lot of people just use mysis.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

No need to feed the coral. It will get enough on its own that is if you have proper water circulation in there ..

12. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I read that they do better with weekly target feeding. Is it an open brain? They also enjoy eating cycloeeze and zooplankton.