Brain coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Iheartcoral, Dec 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

Help my brain coral looks like it is tight to its skeleton and has its mouth open for the past couple of days today I did a small water change and checked my perimeters
    38 gallons
    Salt 1.025
    pH 8.0
    NO 0
    PO 0
    KH 9
    Calcium 440
    Ammonia 0
    Temp 76

Any advice, is it dying.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Thank you for including all the parametes!!!! Temp is a tiny bit low, but otherwise everything looks normal.

How long have you have had the brain and what type of lighting?

What you describe is not uncommon but a may indicate a problem is it persist. Check the coral at night hours after the lighting has gone off and see if you see better extension.

4. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

LED lighting

5. Corailline

How long have you had the coral and do you see better extension at night after the lights have been out for a couple hours?

What LED fixture?

This coral does not need as much light as a lot of hobbyist give it. If you do not see an improvement or color loss I would move the coral to an area with less direct lighting and I would also begin to feed it if you are not.

6. Corailline

7. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

The LED lighting that is sold with the IM series of tanks, it has lost some color. I have had this coral for about 6 months

8. Click Here!

9. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

How often do you feed it?

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Could you post a picture? I am assuming you are talking about an open brain coral, such as Trachyphyllia radiata. Mine will go a day or two sometimes "closed up". But nothing more than two days. Do you have any other corals in the tank, and if so, how do they look? What fish & inverts do you have (maybe one is bothering it)?

11. Iheartcoral

Iheartcoral Astrea Snail

I do not have much in this tank other than corals I have a conch snail, dragonet blenny, some hermit crabs, mushrooms, gonipopora, and some polyps. The other corals look normal. How often should I be feeding it, i do dose this tank with pods on a regular bases but should I be hand feeding it krill?

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It can be fed pieces of larger meaty foods, yes. Once a week should be fine. I would still ask you to post a picture if you can.