Urgent Brain Coral Showing Skeleton!! Help!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RedGambit, Dec 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

right;) well.. how is he/she/it today? i would try moving the brain to a different spot to where there is a little less light.

if you say that every time lights are off he becomes a little better then maybe he is getting a little to much?

its always a good idea to move corals around and see where they do better.

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I wonder if my Algae blenny is being naughty wen Im around, I know its not my angelfish, cause when he bothers something he goes straight back for it over and over and over. The angel has swam around the brain without issue, Hasnt even given it a single look really, *knock on wood*

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Hmm Ill have to give it a shot... Everything was fine till I added the sand :-x... I wonder if there are occasional sand storms and its irritating him/it..

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

you can always spy on your fish and see if he is guilty.;)

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Well considering when I'm home and on my laptop working I face the tank, I can see most of what goes on.. and the Angelfish is never subtle... about anything.

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

have you noticed any other fish though? just swimming around close to it? most of the time. ( just listing suggestions, my best guess is its position.. at least thats what happened to my Favia brain)

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Ahhhh My purple tang normally rounds that corner of the tank, Hes not a super fast swimmer though, and my fire fish likes to swim by the powerhead on that side of the tank... Do you think it could be to much flow or not enough?

10. wfb2270

wfb2270 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i just added my green trach brain coral on Sunday (it is also my first coral) it didn't open until i left 2 of my actinics off all day. i have 3x10k and 3xactinic 54 w T5. when i brought it home i put it in the shade and put cardboard directly over it (on top of tank) to block direct light. the next day i had my normal light cycle and it didn't open up. on Tuesday i turned my actinics off when i left for work so they wouldnt come on. when i came home it was opened up about twice the size it was in the store (btw cardboard has stayed over it). i moved it out from the shade area by the rock last night. i didn't turn on the actinics until i got home from work at about 5:00. i plan on going back to my normal light cycle on friday, but leave the cardboard until probably Monday.

not sure if any of that helps, but you might have to slow down the light acclimation process somehow to help it get used to its new home

i also thought i read that red trachs are generally found in deeper waters so they would take even longer to acclimate to your lights. dont quote me on that though i could be making it up :).

good luck

1 person likes this.
  11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thanks! Ill give that cardboard idea a shot, sounds like it might work a bit.

1 person likes this.
  12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well im not so sure about flow, my brain is in a low flow position and he is doing really good. A while ago i had him on a higher flow and he was doing really good too so IME. flow didnt really change his success. so moderate flow should be ok.

and about the tangs. well you never know. fish have different personalities so who knows. what i would do is come in a randomly day of an hour when your not usually there and watch.. but again i dont think its the fish.
    and kudos for the above said.. sounds pretty accurate to me.