"bowl" rock -vs- base rock

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Steve34, Sep 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I was at the LFS today looking to swap out a couple of pieces of rock in my tank for some new base.

Anyway as I was rummaging through the bulk rock area the guy told me that it was "bowl rock", not a term I'm familiar with. He said it was used in both FW and marine aquariums.

Have any of you heard this term and if so is this guy being straight up? I assume with it's porous nature that it will become live after it colonizes, but I want to make sure it's not going to leach in a SW environment.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Well, most rock, after being put into a SW tank, will become "live". I've never heard this term used before.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

If its lava rock I probably wouldn't use it personally.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

no idea... never heard it... Agree if it's lava rock I wouldn't use it. Does it have colors? Colors are generally some mineral or another and tend to leach.

6. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

I'll post a pic of it tonight when I get home from work.

7. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

I Googled "bowl rock" and didn't have much luck. Most threads on other forums had people asking about it, and no responses to those postings really knew anything about it. Once did mention volcanic rock, so I'd be careful. Many postings I found also said their LFS said they were safe, but who knows.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Bowl rock is usually volcanic in nature and used for ciclid tanks in rock walls from what I have seen. I would avoid it since most of what I have seen of it was grey in color not creamy white like reef rock.

10. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Well, maybe this will go into my cichlid tank then it's just a beautiful piece.

First pic is the way I envisioned it in the tank, second and third are closeups to show texture.

Attached Files:

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great piece but I wouldn't put it in my reef.

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

For the $4.50 is cost my green terror can enjoy it.

Out of curiosity what is the biggest threat from volcanic rock?
    Follow up to that question is if volcanic rock is a bad thing how are the reefs in Hawaii so plentiful? Or is that just a matter of the ocean being such a large eco system that it can't make a significant contribution in a negative way?