BoostLed PAR30 Bulb vs Ecoxotic PAR38 LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by fishyfinder, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Which one is better? Please explain why. I just don't understand lighting very well and all the technical stuff. I just want the biggest bang for the buck. Just a note my gf has the BoostLed and I must say it is very beautiful and pretty strong. Thanks everybody.

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

i have stsrted doen the boost led path. I went with them becaus the websight has more information about there product ans actually shows the par rating at the inches of debth. but thats just my opinion is you go with anything other than boost leds let me know so i can see how they work.

4. fishyfinder

I like that Boost are cheaper too. :) O i will. I will put it on my tank thread.

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

cool LOL the boost led with the rapids would help with the light coverage but i dont know what par rating they have

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I have two blue par30s as supplemental lighting for part of my 93g to add a spotlight effect and bring out extra flourescence in some corals. They are quite impressive little lights. Unbelievable output for 10W each. Even with my Phoenix 250W MH on a lumenbright reflector, the little 10 watt'er brings out extra fluorescence in my corals. There is definitely a very noticeable difference if I put my hand over the bulb. I went with the 30s because they fit better in my light fixture, but I'm quite happy with them. I do not have any Par 38s for direct comparison, but I have seen some and they also seem quite impressive.

I think the Par38s are 28W each or something, so, I would guess that they would potentially have more output, but I haven't seen a direct comparison. The par 30s are small and don't weight much at all. They fit in a standard light socket. The Par 38s are bigger, basically a floodlight, I think they weight quite a bit more, like 1 pound, but really not bad either. I think you need a floodlight type socket.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think they give par values on the boost website.

8. Click Here!

9. fishyfinder

If i go the boost route, I plan on getting 2 to 3 on a ten gallon. You think 3 is too much?

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

You could probably get away with 2, but I don't think three would hurt.

11. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I have one of the ecoxotic led lamps...

Would love to see somebody with experience on both compare.

Price ponts of the two are $40-$50 off. Not sure what the tale to this is.

I really like the build quality of the ecoxotic lamp.

I purely use mine for lighting effects. I have one being shipped in so I will have one on each side.

12. fishyfinder

Thanks a ton. This was extremely helpful. I am going to design a light fixture, so the type of socket isn't a big deal. I, however, like that the boost fit in a "normal" socket. I know the fluorescence is crazy with this little light. My gf likes putting her painted toes by them to see the change in color. haha She had a coral that we counted as a goner, then she upgraded to led and boy we were proved wrong. The coral is now the prettiest in the tank. Thanks again for the information.