bonding acrylic and glass

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by scottf, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharkyshark

sharkyshark Spaghetti Worm

the bf did acrylic to glass for our fuge and it's fine. he used marine safe silicone that he got at ace hardware.
    good luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I used acrylic in a 10 gal glass tank for baffels as part of a two tank sump/fuge setup. No problems. You just need to use a lot of aquarium silicone sealent to hold it in place.

4. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

cool thanks for everyones help very appreciated

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I used acrylic for my baffles, haven't had a problem so far. Knock on wood.

6. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I think that it's beter if you use a thinner piece, and if you either don't make it fit too tight, or you give it a slight bow so that it swells in the direction of the bow, and not against the glass. I've actually used it too, but I did have a friend that came home to an awful mess...

7. chrisg

chrisg Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just wanted to add something I thought was pretty funny. I was looking for silicone at lowes, not knowing what I could use for my baffles. I was looking for something that might say good for aquarium use. No luck. But one tube I found said," Good for marine applications above the waterline." Now is it just me or is that a DUH!

8. Click Here!

9. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

i went and had some glass cut today it was pretty cheap actually i figure this way i wont come home to a mess or have to keep adding silicone to it...i couldnt find any weld on #4 or 16 around here (im building an overflow too) so i used some acetone in a sealed jar with some clear acrylic and made my own paste

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Unless it says "aquarium safe" pass on it. Remember that "marine" does not mean "home aquarium." When something is labeled marine, it usually means it's good for watercraft repair, like boats.

11. Catfish Charlie

Catfish Charlie Astrea Snail

epoxy putty sticks beautifully to both glass and acrylic, there is a catalyst agent that you can get that will allow you to bond glass and acrylic together with silicone, we used to use it back in Denver at a shop I worked at, I'll have to look it up though.

Glass on glass is great as long as the glass is thick enough to handle to pressure of being a baffle if its not a large sump it'll be fine. I use the aquarium epoxy putty to hold egg crate in place for sumps personally

12. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

the glass i had cut was 5/16" plenty thick enough ill have to look up that putty though for further use thanks..