bonding acrylic and glass

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by scottf, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

is there anything that will bond acrylic and glass safely so it wont hurt marine life?...and how about acrylic to acrylic?

2. Click Here!

3. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

idk about bonding acrylic to glass, they are two diff. substances but you can use aquarium sealant or GE silicone to attach a piece of acrylic to glass. as for acrylic to acrylic, you can use weld-on (not sure of the numbers) or make your own. i made my own and used extra pieces of acrylic, broke them up into small pieces, tossed in an airtight jar, added some acetone to the mix and sealed the jar. let that sit for a few days, it will melt the acrylic forming a paste. then you can apply that between two pieces of acrylic, the acetone will evaporate and ultimately attach the two pieces of acrylic to eachother. i used this method when i made my own overflow.

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What is this for? If it must seal, you can't (well, at least shouldn't) do acrylic to glass. The acrylic will expand/contract dramatically more than the glass with temp changes and will rupture the seal.

5. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

i want to make a sump but my tank is glass and wanted to use acrylic for the baffles

6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I did, you just have to use allot of silicone to hold the baffles in place.and like Packleader said they will end up bowing a little which is why you want to use allot of silicone.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That should be fine then. Just leave about a hairs width of extra room for the acrylic to expand ;) Just wanted to make sure you werent attempting to make an entire tank with the combo ;) But just the baffles will be OK. Use silicon

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I had a friend whose sump exploded from using acrylic in glass so be careful.

1 person likes this.
  10. scottf

scottf Astrea Snail

would it be better if i had a few pieces of glass cut instead?

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's how I did it. Check out this old thread.

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Acrylic to acrylic is Weld-on #3, 4 and 16. Acrylic to glass doesn't have anything that will bond. Silicon that holds glass to acrylic is more like bubble gum holding it in place. Using this for baffles only is not too critical and will be "ok" since you won't have a chance for leakage outside of the tank. You will just need to keep an eye on the tank to make sure the baffles haven't come loose. Do leave about 1/16" space for the acrylic to expand like Pack mentioned or the glass may burst when the water warms up.