Bob the mantis is dying!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Jul 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Sounds pretty bad. Its one thing for a single fish or invert to die in a DT. But having a dedicated tank would make it much worse. So I am assuming you have taken very well care of her and her tank, think its just old age? I hope everything works out for you.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am assuming that it is old age. She has done very well and ate very well. I routinely varied her diet and supplemented all food with HUFA's, vitamins and provided her with turbo snails at least couple times a month. Her water parems are good, good skimmer, proper lighting :confused:

I think the fact that she laid eggs is defintaly a sign that she was taken care of well, as not many mantis will lay eggs in captivity (even unfertile ones)

Peacocks molts are extremely difficult on them, much more then any other mantis molting. She is also fairly large so I am assuming it is age. I have had her for about a year now and this is her 5th molt I think.

4. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

got any pics? maybe somebody can help by seeing?

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

no pics...dont want to stress her out anymore. It is definately a bad molt. I looked tonight and she has managed to get a couple pieces of her body exoskeleton off and a few swimmettes. She has righted herself right now but is still very weak.

It looks like she is unable to get her smasher off and tomorrow we will probably have to help her remove it if she doesnt get it off.

She has hung on longer then I thought she would...so maybe she can hold on?

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

She sounds like the desire to live is still going strong. Mantis are freakishly smart, so maybe she actually does have a "desire to live" and knows what's going on. Even if she is an old granny named Bob, we want her to stay around, and I'm sure she'd love to stay around longer as well!

I hope everything works out in the end. Curt is borderline Superman(tis), so if he has to help, Bob will be in very capable hands.

8. Click Here!

9. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I've taught you well, young Padawan - the only family member who appreciates my love of obnoxious puns! ::):p

Schackmel, I hope all is okay with Bob. Awaiting your update.

10. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

I'm rooting for her to pull through. Sounds like some progress is being made, hopefully the good news keeps coming :)

11. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

I am on the support train and hope she pulls through.. and amazes you like she always does..!!

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I feel like we are getting an update on a person with cancer on their death bed.

Some portions of this thread was pretty intense..

Well I hope BoB is well.....