Bob the mantis is dying!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by schackmel, Jul 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

No handless moderators, please!

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

So what's the update? Sorry about this girl. It sucks. Seems to me if Curt can get the molt off, she will be fine.

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Keeping my fingers crossed - I hope she pulls through!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Any word yet?

1 person likes this.
  6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sorry....
    Actually she is looking a little worse. She is moving even less now, looks like she is huffing and puffing a little more. She was working on getting one smasher off..was half way off earlier this afternoon. She has one swimmette that is half off..other then that she has not gotten anything off. I can see where her exoskeleton is seperating and there are some holes in the shell.

Curt and I talked and he will look again tomorrow. There is a fine line in making the decision to remove her exoskeleton or not. Doing so will cause A LOT more stress on her and may push her over the edge.....not doing so might mean her death as she might be unable to remove the shell herself.

I am not going to look again tonight....as hard as it is not to. But I will look again in the morning and update at work. I kind of have the feeling that she may not make it through the night :cry::cry:

again thanks for all the well wishes

1 person likes this.
  7. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

i hope all works out ive been fallowing ur posts and they have helped me alot with my peacock bert. i really hope she pulls through.

8. Click Here!

9. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear about Bob :( I hope she pulls through.

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

oh this really sucks and I hate to be morbid but a video of curt demolting her would be awesome

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

she is still hanging in there but she's weak

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Actually that would be a great thing to post IF need be to molt....might have to record it.

However, not sure if it is a great idea to post. To me it seems very dangerous, not only to the person but to the mantis themself. Curt has over 20 years of experience with mantis and has had to remove molts several times....but I would hate to have someone see the video and try it and get hurt :-/ I know the smashers are mush right now but the uropods are still there. Plus very stressful on the mantis itself

So not sure I will tape it. She is so weak that I will be surprised if she makes it through either process.... will have to see. When I left today she was barely moving her swimmettes and I dont see that she made any progress :cry:

1 person likes this.