Blue tip anemone?? I dont know!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by dngrdave, Jan 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dngrdave

dngrdave Plankton

I recently traded for what i was told was a blue tipped anemone. I was also told it had eaten (caught) some type of blenny, this was the reason it was brought to them. Now this is a large bright white anemone with small short tentacles with blueish, purple tips. it was engorged and fully opened when i got it from the lfs, with a small amount of substrate on it. my clown will not get close to it, yes, yes i know there are many types that clowns do not go to. Just using this as help for I.D. info. here, I am blown away by this creatures behavior. It has not attached to anything and for days just tumbled around, it finally settled down in the front corner of my tank whichmade me very happy at first, since you cant tell them where to live, lol!! As soon as it stopped moving it stuck its face in the substrate, with its foot exposed, WEIRD!!! everytime i flip it over it swells and rolls back on its mouth/tentacles, and will not act what to me is right and attach and let me feed it i am going to try to att. some pics. any help would be appreciated!!! these pics. are from right after i rolled it, is this a species that hides in the substrate? I want to keep it, but i dont want it to starve!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Is looks like a sick Sebae anemone to me. One of the harder anemones to keep.

4. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

5. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Oh and clowns LOVE seabae's IME

6. joksanmo

joksanmo Flamingo Tongue

It looks like a sebae anemone. Doesn't look healthy at all. Here is a pic of mine for reference.

Attached Files:

7. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

looks like a nuclear bomb if you dont have a HUGE tank

8. Click Here!

9. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

rofl

10. dngrdave

dngrdave Plankton

it looks so bad because i had to flip it to get it to where i could photograph it, does yours burrow in the substrate? Mine wont attach to anything and sticks its face in the bottom like an ostritch!!

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's sticking it's "face" (mouth) in the substrate because it's trying to die...

If it dies and you don't take it out, your tank will die too.

12. dngrdave

dngrdave Plankton

can you offer up some advice on placement?