Blue throat trigger in a reef tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RemickJ, Aug 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good news so far.. I made sure I distracted the trigger when I added the cleaner shrimp. I did not want the shrimp to get attacked thinking that it was food. The shrimp has been in for a few hours now an the Trigger has been given a couple clean innings already.. So far so good.. If this one lasts a couple days I will likly add another.

2. Click Here!

3. RemickJ

Hey everyone- last night after the lights went out I wanted to take a look in my tank for any unwanted crabs etc... And check out the night life. Any way when I shined the flashlight in my trigger launched himself right out of my tank. I saw and heard it happen as he hit the wall next to the tank. I quickly ran around to the back of the tank and upon entering the fish room I could hear him flopping on the floor so I picked him up and put him back in. My concern is that the top of my tank is about 6 feet high plus his vertical leap so he fell a good distance on to the tile floor.. Definitely stinks as he is my favorite fish.. When I put him back in he went down to his cave right away and is still there this morning so hopefully with some luck he will make it.

4. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

He should be ok, he was probably scared when he went back into the aquarium... these guys are very resilient!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. RemickJ

Thanks! I really want to turn on a light so I can see if there are any damages but I am leaving them out until the normal time they turn on to reduce stress.. I'll feed food soaked in garlic and vitamins to help aid in boosting his immune system. Fingers crossed!

6. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I hope it works out. Still waiting on my LFS to find me one.

Could be time for a DIY mesh top?

1 person likes this.
  7. RemickJ

They are awesome.. The one I have has really bight coloring.. More bright then seen on most so I hope he pulls through.

I feel bad because had I not spooked him he would not have taken the leap. I am going to try some egg crate and see how much it reduces the light and go from there.

Good luck in your search!! You will not be disappointed when you get one!

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

check out the BRS DIY screen top. its great

10. RemickJ

I will check it out for sure.. Update on the Trigger- he is fine! Out swimming around all day and eating this evening. I must say I am impressed- he had to have fallen 6-7 ft on to a tile floor. All is well that ends well but I will chek out the screen top for sure. Thanks all!

11. Jmblec2

I finally got my Trigger. Wow he is nice looking. He is very shy though and as soon as he sees you he goes and hides. Did you have this same issue?

12. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

I just traded back my BT Trigger to the LFS for a Yellow Tang. I had hime for almost 1.5 years or so. Great fish, very docile and friendly. Did not bother any of my (small) corals, nor snails or smaller hermit crabs. I was even able to pet him once in a while during feeding. He had a great temperament, but would not take crap from anyone even my 4.5" Harlequin Tusk (would try to bite him back if he tried to bully him). In the end, i decided to let him go because 1) I wanted more color in my tank and 2) I didn't have any corals/shrimp anyways, so a BT was sort of waste. Great choice though for those who got him!