Blue tang playing with new fish too much?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by K3rack, Oct 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

So I've had a blue tang in my 50ga for about 6 months and he's doing just swell. I bought a new black clown and the blue tang is just bugging the crap out of him. He isn't aggressive but he's like a shadow and eating all the food. Some gets to the clown if I feed on both sides of the tank but is there something else I can do to get the tang to chill out?

Right now I have a scooter blenny and those two fishes. I was thinking about getting a couple more since I have lots of room in the tank and maybe he'll calm down. Ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

By blue tang do you mean a hippo tang? It will end up needing a bigger tank than a 50 gallon. I wouldn't recommend getting more fish than what you have unless you upgrade. Tangs need a lot of swim room, and that tang will get pretty big. I'm not saying its an emergency at the moment, but you should plan on upgrading down the road if you plan on keeping the tang as an adult.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I do plan on upgrading but he's just a little baby right now. And no, he's just a blue tang not a hippo.

5. insanespain

If its not a hippo then what is it? Is it a powder blue?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

7. insanespain

Ahh. I've never seen one of those before

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Oh, well thats more comonly known as a blue hippo or just hippo tang ;)

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

def will need to upgrade, I had a very small blue hippo in my 55g when I started out in the hobby. At first all fish were harmonious and everyone was happy. They seemed to always be playing and dancing around with one another, just like that movie, what was that movie, oh yeah Finding Nemo!

But, he ate like a pig, grew very quickly, began feeling cramped in his small quarters. Ultimately, he began going after my clowns and I had to remove him. And it was a pita trying to catch him, not fun.

The Tang Police were a task force formed in the early 1700's by a small group of elite reefers that secretly met under bridges in Asia and parts of Nova Scotia. Their legions have grown over the centuries and even though they seem harsh or judgemental, at their core, they are here to help.

I do hope you upgrade if you keep the Tang but know that you'll need a 100g+ to truly support one to a full healthy adult life. I, for one, would fool myself by saying I'd upgrade but that's a big tank and big responsibility just to support that one fish. I just recently brought my Powder Blue back because it turned into a killer in my cube, they do start so nice though.

Why not trade him in for a nice clown goby :)?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  12. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I never thought tangs would become aggressive so I guess I can't wait to get him out. The hard part is catching him since he loves hiding in coral-ridden rocks. Sigh.

I guess I can trade him in for a decent fish then. Do the inverted bottle tricks work on tangs? Geometrically doesn't seem to lol

Got it, hippo tang :)