Blue tang losing color

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by tangopa, Sep 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tangopa

tangopa Bristle Worm

My hippo has come down with some ich and was not responding to garlic juice treatments so I have quarantined him and treated with copper (making sure to err on the side of low copper). He has lost a lot of color and seems to have his dorsal fin constantly fully extended since he's been in QT (about 8 hours). He also seems lethargic and listless. Hopefully it's just stress related to switching tanks, I really don't want to lose him!

He has lost a lot of the color on his ventral side but is swimming around quite a lot! Hopefully he survives the night! Keep your fingers crossed everyone!:cry:

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

hippo tangs have the ability to modulate their colour based on their mood. Your tang is probably really stressed from being moved and treated with copper. Hopefully your tang will make it through this stress. But if your tang was not responding to garlic and the ich was getting worse, you did what you had to do by taking him out and treating.

BTW, make sure you have a few pieces of PVC tubing in the quarantine tank for him to hide. That might help reduce his stress. Also, make sure to leave some nori in the tank for him to graze on during the day.

4. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

^+1 on that. pvc and nori!

5. tangopa

tangopa Bristle Worm

Yeah, the pvc is in there along with some pieces of a flower-pot that I made for caves for him (thoroughly rinsed). The nori I should get though, thanks for the tip!

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

this has happened to me in the past... i was pretty scared for him so i put him back into the DT and his color returned almost immediately. I got this organic type of ich medicine that boasts to be reef safe and it worked. the only coral i had was frogspawn and it didnt have full extension for a while during treatment and it caused a cyano outbreak but other than that this stuff did work...