Blue Spot Jaw Fish Question

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by RemickJ, Jun 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hi Everyone,

Live Aquaria has Blue Spot Jaw fish on sale for $89 which is not a bad deal. Does anyone know if they go after onimental shrimp, hermits or snails?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Usually not, fairly safe fish. The only issue they really have are that they are SERIOUS jumpers, so a tight fitting canopy is pretty much a must.

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Seconding the serious jumpers...I lost two :(

5. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Do you think tight fitting egg crate is enough? I heard they calm down a bit once they have been in the tank for a while is that true?

6. Sea Dragon

Sea Dragon Astrea Snail

There have been some reports about them attacking small ornamental shrimp, so I guess the question is how big are your shrimp? I just got a Blue Spot Jaw and he's fine with my hermits and snails. He get's a little annoyed when they are in his space and has knock them away from his area, but other then that he's been fine with them. If you've got the tank for him, I highly recommend getting a Blue Spot Jaw fish. Mine is highly entertaining. I was afraid I'd never see him but I seem quite a bit more than I ever thought I would.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No, they will jump right through the egg crate.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Great fish. I have seen mine jump out hit the light and bounce back in. He's crazy and a lot of fun to watch. My girlfriend named him Brian which is my name. He's a freak with bug eyes. He loves to dig a lot so just be aware if you haven't cleaned the sand for a while he will stir up the nasties... especially around and under rocks.

10. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Only if they are not being stressed by another fish. All Jawfish are very skittish when first introduced and are not fighters (unless you have 2 males in the tank like I do :eek:) so they can be picked on fairly easy until they get a burrow built for protection. Once they have a burrow and are comfortable with their surroundings, they do calm down and hang by their burrow waiting for food most of the time.

11. weboddity

weboddity Astrea Snail

Agreed. It's actually a bit entertaining -- I've seen the BSJ spit water at a blue-legged hermit crab, and I've seen him pick up a blue-legged dwarf hermit crab by the shell and spit him away from his burrow.
    Ours is the only fish in the tank at the moment, with burrows left and right. It's our hope that his time to mess with the aquascaping (they do a lot more than I thought with sand, rock & shells) will give him a comfort level that helps him accept whatever compatible addition we let into his domain.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I have lost 2 now due to jumping!

First one I had I was so proud of myself...I bought it, dripped it after the sun went down...Before I was dripping it I made myself a little eggcrate cover to go over the top of the tank. It was so nice...I created a little feeding door, had the drain openings perfect....dripped the little guy with the lights off to reduce stress, placed him in htere so gently and NEVER saw him again until 3 days later when my dog brings me the shrivled up body!

Second one I lost I bought after I switched setups. I upgraded to a 135g. This time I had glass lids on it. So perfect time to add a jawfish! I left the lids on there for many months...and then decided to go open top! I figured the jawfish had been in there long enough, had a couple nice dens...should be fine! Well I now have another shrivled up blue spotted jaw behind my tank! Poor guy I cant even get to the body to give him the proper porcelin toilet bowl funeral that he deserves......

But everyone I have ever heard that had one has eventually had them jump, unless they have glass lids