Urgent Blue Hippo Ick?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blazinlow89, Jan 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blazinlow89

blazinlow89 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok i have a problem with the blue hippo tang. A few weeks ago we transferred the lionfish into the tank with the wrasse again, and we transferred the livestock from the reef tank into the old lionfish tank, mainly due to the red algae epidemic, and we wanted to see if the wider tank had a better look.

Well within the past few days we have lost 2 clowns, 1 domino damsel, 1 chromis, and 2 yellow tail damsels. Well today the blue hippo is covered in white spots, breathing heavy, and just doesnt want to swim. She does eat when we feed.

Here are some pics, i want to save her if i can we did a freshwater dip and she seemed to perk up a little bit but is going slow again.

WE just dont want to loose anymore fish.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

quarantine with copper if possible. And soak food in vitamins and garlic if it isn't already eating.

4. blazinlow89

No QT tank, have feather dusters, shrooms and shrimp, crabs, and snails in the tank.

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

Then dont do copper in your main tank. you could try something like rid ich but many people feel it doesnt work. I have never used it myself so i couldnt tell you how well it works.

6. frkid247

frkid247 Sea Dragon

not good! get a shrimp they will help alot!

7. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

So you have 2 tanks ? What is all in with the lion fish? is there inverts in that tank? Is there also ich on those fish?
    Sorry just trying to think of what you could do.
    A lot of people feel that pulling it out and QTing is so stressfull on the fish that it won't help. But he is in bad shape.

Did the other fish show signs of ich when they died?
    What is the ammonia at in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

10. blazinlow89

WE have 3 tanks, the lion fish tank which also had a wrasse in it, but he did not show any signs of ich, think him and the lionfish finally went at it. WE have the reef tank which we transferred all the fish, shrooms and inverts to the old lionfish tank, due to a massive red algae bloom. Then we have the old lionfish tank. The lion fish also shows no sign of ich or anything. I did a freshwater dip on him and he seemed healthier but today unfortunately she is gone. So its on to i guess letting the parasite die out and since we have the new tank i can do a fuge, and a QT underneath.

Thank you

It looks more like Brooklynella, the only thing i havent seen was a mucus discharge. But every other sympton seems right.

Thanks guys, id hate to say it by we need to start the thing over with the fish. Maybe its time to step up to a 55 bow front.

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have had many tangs in my tank. The only one that has survived ich time and time again it my hippo. Its like a cold to them. The best thing to do is to raise the water to 82 and keep feeding. Turn the lights down a few hrs less a day and that will all help. It too will pass

1 person likes this.
  12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

" but i will not pass;)"

nice biblical allusion mirandacollc. ( one of my favorites)