Blood shrimp, anyone have any experience

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Scubagator87, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

So I would like to add a blood shrimp (or two) to my aquarium, you know the RED ones with the white antennae. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about blood shrimp, or had one or two? I have read that they are non-agressive and can be kept in groups (would be cool to get two); will they perform cleaning activities on other fish? What do they eat? Do they have any special requirements? I also would like to know if they are compatible with LTA's, Clown fish, and pearly jawfish.

Thanks
    (sorry for the deluge of questions :p)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have (1) Large Blood shrimp and (1) large Skunk cleaner shrimp in my 120 The shrimp get along with everything I have noticed that the skunk shrimp is far far more active than the Blood shrimp the skunk is always all over the reef into everything and actually has been seen riding around on my Tangs cleaning them as they are swimming. He even cleans my hands and under my fingernails if I stick my hand in the tank. The Blood shrimp just hangs out in the rockwork and is very boring by comaparison . So even though the Blood is nice looking I wish I had just gone with (2) Skunks instead of one each . That is my experience anyway. Good luck.

4. Scubagator87

yea, actually i was also looking at scarlet skunks...

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Fire (Blood) Shrimp
    Lysmata debelius

One of the most beautiful shrimp you can add to tank.

They are quite shy however and you will probably only see them at feeding time.

Will also act as "cleaners" but do not have as much instinct for it as skunks.

They get more confident in groups (4/5) re. Tangster.

I have two in main tank and 1 in Nano. The one in Nano is out and about much more then ones in 125. Probably because much less space to hide out in.

The ones in main only show up at feeding time, and even then quite intimidated by fish eating frenzy.

Lets see if I can find Pic....

Ok...here is one in Nano:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gorgeous creature.

Will molt allot...(will "disappear" for some days after)...don't worry about it.

Get a bunch! ;)

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Here is pic of one in 125 gallon. --- so they do come out in open every once in a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. Scubagator87

yea they are quite beautiful; although i must say i am leaning towards the skunk cleaner as i think it has more functionality as a cleaner. Can I keep a pair of skunks? Could I keep a blood shrimp and skunk shrimp together? Just trying to explore all my options :)

8. Click Here!

9. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i currently have 3 skunk, 1 fire, and a coral banded in my 72. they all seem to have there own area they stay in and clean from and all seem to do ok with each other. take it for what it is worth

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Will do fine together. Suggest getting one of each...;D

11. sharkboyyyy!

sharkboyyyy! Plankton

Blood/Fire shrimp are primarily nocturnal, come from greater depth (i.e. darker and that's why the cost more...) and are less robust cleaners than the "skunk" type...

There's two skunk-types, pacific & atlantic, but for all practical purposes they're the same.

Bloods get quite a bit bigger, but even still, if you've got *any* serious activity in your tank, they'll just hide most of the time.

Scarlet Cleaners/Skunks are more active, will even get to climbing on YOU when you stick your hand in, etc... (cheaper too).

These two types of shrimp will be fine together - very, very low aggression so mix and match as you please - just be aware of their proclivites so as to not be dissapointed in your purchase.

As for Coral Banded/Boxing shrimp - they get big, aggressive, and rarely if ever "clean" (I've got one that's dinner-plate sized and it will occasionally "scratch an itch" on the larger fish - but it would sooner snap at them than clean 'em!).

Have even been known to take out smaller fish - and will be especially aggessive towards other shrimp mates unless you have a big (4' long or so...) tank.

Good luck! Awesome inverts, and everybody should have some!

12. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

hmm, some how i have 3 in my 55 tank, they seem to be quite enjoy moving around my rock work, they never seem to stop moving around they started cleaning anything that get close to it my CB always enjoy a good rub by these guys even me when i feed any of my anemone, they seem to come to my hand and i would give them a piece of shrimp or krill never shy for me, they molt quite often as often as once a month or sometime every few weeks.