blood parrot cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by catz, Jul 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

I have a question on parrots. I have been told that they will not breed however I have a pair that is definately breeding. One has what appears to be a male part, and the other goes up to it and sucks it then slime comes out then she sucks it all up in her mouth. They have seemed to make a nest. Is this possible? I feel stupid asking. I have a 125 gallon tank with just about every type of cichlid in it.

2. Click Here!

3. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

they can breed in captivity I never had a breeding pair I would research more to see if you can get the off spring to grow and get credit from a LFS.

4. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

thanks, this is really weird. Like I said, I didn't think they could breed since the parrot is a cross of two fish.

5. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

6. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

7. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

they cannot breed because the male is most of the time infertile. the female can have eggs but will eaten by fungus eventually. You have to find a fertile male like flowerhorn which is related to parrot.

8. Click Here!

9. LVsuckerfish

LVsuckerfish Fire Shrimp

most of the time is the key Phrase here thats still leaves a chance for a successful breeding pair..... evolution is weird like that!!!!

10. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

cool site. Thanks.
    This is exactly what they are doing.

11. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

These fish can breed in captivity but due to them being hybrids they often have issues such as the males being sterile. Its odd to have a breeding pair but it does happen. In alot of cases the male fish will be sterile but certainly not all. They are a hybrid animal so genetic mutation and issues will vary from one fish to another. Some have issues with not being able to eat due to mouth structure and development but again this does not apply to every fish.

12. Tay

Tay Plankton

i have 2 blood parrots and my male in infertile, sadly:/ i wouldve loved to saw their fry