Blenny may have internal parasite?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by smackrock, Nov 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

My lawnmower blenny's belly has grown larger over the past 3 weeks, but i thought mostly because he's learned to eat flakes and pellets that i feed the other fish(He's been in the tank for 5 weeks). However yesterday when he was up close to the glass I noticed it looked like his belly was squirming with what looked like a worm inside :-X. He hasn't exhibited any other symptoms of disease (breathes pretty normal, eats A LOT, swims around ..ect). No other fish has shown any other issues as well.

Water params are pretty much normal:
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate 10 ppm
    pH: 8.2

I plan on getting some of that flake food with internal parasite medicine in it and was also considering QTing him and treating the water with parasite meds.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good internal parasite remover medicine? And perhaps a good method to treating internal parasites?

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Anything with praziquantel in it. Kordon Prazi-pro, API General Cure, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. smackrock

Thanks! I checked out the LFS and they did not have anything for internal parasites so I put an order in for the general cure and the flakes.

5. smackrock

The parasite meds are in the mail so that part is taken care though I wanted to just see if anyone else who has a lawnmower blenny: If your blenny is eating flakes and pellets, is it fat? Mine goes crazy over flakes, pellets, frozen food, even seaweed so there's really nothing I put into the tank that he won't eat and he's usually the first one after the food so he certainly will eat more than others. I read on other boards that other hobbyists have had issues with their blenny just getting fat because they are not picky eaters. The meds are a good precaution but I can't help but think I'm over analyzing a situation where it's just an over gluttonous fish.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have seen plenty of fat blennies in my time ;)
    I would hold off on the meds until you can confirm it has an issue. Could just be that he is eating too much. Specially with pellets. Are you making sure to soak your pellets VERY well before feeding? Pellets expand when they get wet. If your not soaking them before feeding, then they will expand in the fishes stomach. This can cause a bloated belly, movement, discomfort, even fully up to rupturing the fishes guts and killing it.
    A good why to tell if it has internal parasites is by the animals feces. If it looks white and stringy, then it probably has parasites.

1 person likes this.
  7. smackrock

Ok, sounds good. From what I've seen of his poop, it looks light brown and solid, sometimes not. Haven't seen white strands or string, but haven't looked for it either. It seems so hard to diagnose an internal parasite. From what I saw it looked like a squirming movement in his belly, but it could have been something he was doing or him just breathing. Kills me to think he could be suffering. I'll have to keep my eye out for his poop and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary, Thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. pancake

pancake Astrea Snail

I have a LB He is super fat. His belly is really round and tight looking and he doesn't eat any flake food, just algae. I dont think he has any problems though just eats alot.

10. smackrock

My LB is looking better now. As precaution I crushed up some internal parasite med flake food and was able to get him to eat a little for a few days and either that helped or he has cut back on eating because his tummy is getting a little smaller now. He looks a lot more proportional. He was probably just a fat happy LB and eventually hit his tipping point on how much food he could scarf down but the med food def. made me feel a little better about it all. Thanks all that helped.