blennie that ppassed away

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kiarah, Nov 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

HI everyone, as you Know i had a blennie that i thought a snail had killed as i found it eating his head! (silly me) Took a water sample to the shop i brought him from as he passed away after only being in my tank 12 hours or so. The shop did all the tests and just as i new my water parms were perfect which i was pleased about. But as they were testing my water i decided to take a look at the tank that my blennie came from and i found a fish not looking to healthy layin at the bottom of the tank on his side! i called a staff member over and asked if this was normal for the fish and he said they had the fish for 2 weeks and it was fine but for the last 2 days it had started laying at the bottom of the tank not looking to good.Now im worried that the blennie died of some kind of disease. I had the blennie in my tank for about 12 hours with my 2 clowns and im now worried that they might catch what the blennie had. is this possible?. I have a very good uv serilzer will this help? i should have sussed something was not right as my cleaner shrimp when mad when i put him in my tank and was constantly cleaning him! :confused::cry::confused:
    K

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

sorry to hear about your blenny passing away!! losses really suck karma. just watch uv sterilizers as they do kill some good bacteria aswell:)

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1, I wouldnt use the sterilizer on the tank.
    Usually, if the blenny had a disease, it probably would have been obvious. Usually, if a fish dies of diesease, its a slow, drawn out process, which in your case if I am correct, is not what happened. Also, if the clowns are healthy, they should be able to fight off any disease on their own.

PS: cleaner shrimp will clean anything that will let them constantly, whether there's actually a harmful parasite or not. Its not unusual to see them cleaning all the time at all.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry for the loss. It could have been anything that killed your blenny. Luna

6. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh right so you think i should bin the uv then,am a bit gutted as it cost me over £100 . The blennie was slow movin thats why i thought the snail had a chance to jump on his face! i didnt realise they were fast movers! (stupid me!)
    :-[

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend that you don't use them in a reef setting. If you have "fish only", use it.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss......

10. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

sorry to hear about your blenny kiarah! i guess a big part of this pastime is dealing with disease and perhaps death ...