Bleaching SPS

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by anpgp, Oct 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

For some reason my green birdsnests are bleaching. I have multiple frags at multiple levels in my tank. Some are low level, mid, and high. I was trying to figure out the best placement for them but all levels seem to be bleaching. All of my levels are in check, just did the full battery today. They are the only SPSs that seem to be doing poorly. My ORA bird of paradise is starting to grow like a weed and my other corals are doing just fine. They only started bleaching after I started up my fuge probably two weeks ago I think. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of macro do you have in your fuge? Calupra and SPS dont do well together

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Really?? Good to know.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Do you have problems with greens on other corals?

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

i dont mean to hijack the thread but why do caulpera and sps not do well together

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think it is a chemical that the Caulerpa releases in the presence of coral.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I have the same chaeto in my fuge now as I had in my DT. I just moved it down after starting the fuge up. No other problems with green corals. My acans are an awesome deep forest green with red highlights and they have just sprouted another row of polyps.

10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

will it affect it if i have cauplera in the fuge of my tank. i have an infuge tank but caupera if well seperated from my sps

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It can depending on it you have carbon in your filtration. If you have carbon there should be less of a problem.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Caulerpa releases a chemical that inhibits the growth of SPS. You have to run carbon to offset that, but that's not even a perfect solution.

Actually, I'm pretty sure every macroalgae does this, just that caulerpa releases more of it. If Dingo could confirm...;D