bleaching coarls

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by reefer ken, Jan 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer ken

reefer ken Plankton

my nepethia leather has turned floresent green, supposed to be tan. i have other coarls turning white! i have mushrooms that are growing and doing ok but the last week or so are losing there luster. my tank is a 72"x19"x13" 75 gallon tank and i have the coarlife 4x96 watt luner aqualight. the bulbs were replaced on 4/20/08. i have a 9 watt uv, new bulb. 2 hagen aquaclear power filters with phos pad,chemipure,algon for filtration. plus a 20 gal refugium. i also have a red sea prizum pro deluxe protien skimmer. i thought maybe to much mag and kalk. so i laid off the chemicals. i was told my mag was to high. i can explain forever.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

What are your water parameters. Have you checked your temperature? Corals are very sensitive to high temperature over extended periods of time. Thats the same reason why the wild reefs are bleaching. If the leather is turning green that may be algae. How is your flow? They need moderate flow to help keep algae from settling on them. And by the way, welcome to 3reef.

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

assuming these are PC's, the bulbs are old and you need to replace them.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Bleaching also occurs when theres too strong of a light source. Luna

6. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ahh yes +1, also high temps and suntan lotion.

7. reefer ken

reefer ken Plankton

cal is 400. nitrate is pretty much zero. phos is zero. kh/alk is between 8.0 and 9.6. that's the only test kit's i have. up to a week or so i stopped dosing kalkwasser and mag because i thought the alk was high. thax for welcome!!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I would also go with lights... too much light or too little can cause it. PC's they say last a year, but I heard 6 months is a good time to change them.

1 person likes this.
  10. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I second the lights. As far as your mag I wouldn't dose it unless you know where its at.

1 person likes this.