Bleaching and Killing live rock.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by andd, Dec 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andd

andd Plankton

I dont care that I'm bleaching the rock. I just want everyone to know that ;) I have read too many responses to this topic, with results of people telling others it's a waste of time, etc.. it is a process. However the places I do read it is ok, there was a technique posted a while back as follows,

I am not taking credit for it, but it is very useful information. For anyone that believes in killing off live rock to rid of pests/old problems.
    This was posted by someone in response:

"Recipe I was taught for nuking (cleaning) Live Rock
    1. Soak rock in 50/50 Bleach and water solution for 3 days.
    2. Soak rock for next 3 days in RO water if possible but tap is ok
    3. Soak rock in RO/DI water and Baking soda for 3 days to neutralize the bleach. For a 30g trash can I use 4 lbs. of Baking soda.
    4. Let rock sit outside in sun for 2 weeks turning the rock to make sure all water is out of holes. If cold out side I have put in my garage with a fan on the rock for about 1.5 weeks and still turn rock every day.

Last couple times I nuked rock I was not ready to add to tank when I was complete so I mixed some SW and added the rock with some PH's and heat to kick start a cycle until I was ready to add to the tank.

This will ensure you are not adding anything in your tank that you don't want, just like getting base rock. It will become live rock once it is seeded."

I don't want to start those threads back up they are very old. But based on this information. I accidentally soaked it in baking soda right after the soaking in bleach instead of soaking it in freshwater after the bleach. I guess what I'm wondering is, if it matters?

Thanks guys! I'm new! go easy on me.

2. Click Here!

3. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

I don't think it matters. I'm no chemist but I don't see the baking soda doing anything in this recipe. I don't think it will neutralize chlorine from bleach. Chlorine will naturally break down and neutralize over time. Drying the rock will remove all chlorine.

Here is how I cooked rock.

1. Soak rock in 25/75 Bleach and water solution for 3 days.
    2. Rinse rock well using tap water.
    3. Let dry overnight.
    4. Soak rock in 10/90 muriatic acid and water overnight
    5. Rinse rock well using tap water then final rinse with rodi water
    6. Let dry at least 2 weeks.

4. andd

andd Plankton

Yeah as I thought about it. At first I was like ****, I should have soaked in water first then the baking soda, but i'm with you on it. I don't think it matters.

And I don't mean to come off mean at first. A lot of people never see the point killing live rock. I do, the fiji live stuff is so much more porous than dry. The guy I bought my tank from just threw it in with the sale. He had a headache tank, and I don't want his problems. Nor do I want to keep trying solutions to fix his problems. It's nice to just kill it and start dry.

So after you went through with your method, everything was okay? Should I see a cycle or anything, or just treat it like dry rock? It's 35 lbs, i'll probably buy another 10 or 20 of live and seed it.. what does the muriatic acid do?

5. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

I've done a full bleach bath on all the rock in my system. It was completely fine. Just treat it like it is straight dry rock. In fact I would make sure it sits out and drys completely before it would put it in my system.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm not sure where you got an earful about not nuking live rock - judging by your post count, not here :confused:

I don't fight pests, I nuke the rock. I've nuked soooo much rock.

I don't think 3reef is against nuking infested rock ;)

I recognize that recipe you put up. I originally heard it from Otty. Anyway, I skip the baking soda step. Neautralizing the bleach is kind of a waste of effort. Drying the rock out thoroughly also neutralizes the bleach.

2 weeks is an 'idea'; not hard and fast. Depends on where it's at. The point is that it dries thoroughly.