bleached kenya tree

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oldfishkeeper, Aug 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Hi All: I have two little Kenya tree corals that came on some rock when I bought corals. Well, they were brown, and now they are both almost white. Any ideas on what I can do for them? They are both low in the tank, should I put them in a shaded area? Just fed some coral frenzy......

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Kenya trees in my experience need no supplemental feedings and spread like wildfire under the right conditions.

If they are fully open during the photoperiod I would leave them be. If they are not open or open during the entire photoperiod on most days then I would shade them for awhile.

Congrats, a great coral that adds a ton of movement to the tank.

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

+1 They're almost impossible to kill off, so unless they start to melt, I wouldn't worry too much ;)

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have found they have much better coloring under dimmer lighting. Under direct lighting they do tend to bleach. I have some in my 'fuge of my 125 lit by a 13W, 6500K CFL and it has much better coloring than it did in my DT.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking I'm due for new bulbs also, yuck......oh well, it's just $$ right? lol

7. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I know that feeling ::)