bleached coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by SAY, Jun 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

i ordered a coral (goniopora sp) online and when i received it, it was bleached. i know it is a longshot but would like to save it if i can. i have never had a coral bleach on me so am unsure of the best steps to take. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to nurse this guy back to health?

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Pictures speak a thousand words. It would help so we know what your looking at.

you said received, so I am assuming this was a online/mail purchase? If so give it a couple days to adjust & show tis full potential.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Most bleached corals will recover if given a good environment. It should be kept in low lighting though. Goniopora, especially the green ones, have a pretty dismal survival rate though, so, it may not regardless.

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

are you saying that it should be kept in low lighting because it is bleached or are you just saying that goniopora in general should be kept in low lighting?

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Flower Pot Coral - True Red

Thats a link to a red one, but not much different other that the greens are known to be even more picky.

Care Level: Difficult
    Temperament: Aggressive
    Lighting: High
    Waterflow: Medium to Strong
    Placement: Bottom to Middle
    Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
    Color Form: Red
    Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Trace Elements
    Origin: Indonesia
    Family: Poritidae

The True Red Flower Pot Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral often referred to as Goniopora Flower Pot, Ball, Daisy, or Sunflower Coral. The flower names refer to its appearance when all of its polyps are opened. It takes on the visage of a bouquet of flowers. The red form is a bright red color, and illumination by actinic lighting will highlight its true beauty. Once open, the True Red Flower Pot Coral is a gorgeous hard coral with free-flowing short polyps.

It is aggressive, and ample space should be provided between itself and other neighboring corals. Its polyps can extend far past its base into the reef aquarium, where they can sting other species of corals. Clownfish, will often play in its polyps if no anemone can be found in the reef aquarium. This may actually be detrimental to the coral.

Goniopora sp. require PERFECT water conditions, the proper trace elements and the habitat must match its requirements. In general, the Red form of the Flower Pot Coral does better in an aquarium than other Gonipora sp. However, any damage to the meaty section of the True Red Flower Pot Coral almost always means a lost specimen. One can only do this Goniopora Coral justice by leaving its care to the experienced hobbyist with the expertise and time to keep the coral properly.

The symbiotic algae zooxanthellae hosted within its body provides the majority of its nutritional requirements from photosynthesis. It should be fed phytoplankton or brine shrimp daily.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Due to bleaching.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

yes, actually not all goniopora are the same. there are some species of goniopora such as goniopora stutchburyi that are hardier and have different rquirements from your liveaquaria listing above. As a matter of fact, liveaquaria's DD offers some of these aquacultured species, most notably ORA's red. By the way, the difficult green species you refer to is goniopora stokesi. it does have a dismal survival rate in aquariums. i did some homework before making my purchase. However i neglected to find out what to do if my coral arrived bleached. :)

10. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

thanks

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Your welcome, hope things work out!

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

here is what i was expecting. instead, it is as white as snow.

Attached Files: