Blasto showing skeleton (test results & pics)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Coastie Reefer, Aug 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Over the past few days when the lights are out and my blast shrinks up part of the skeleton is starting to show on one of the edges. It's been in the same spot for a couple months now and has been fine. I took it out today and dipped it in Medicoral and noticed that the one side of the plug it is on had a type of slime coat on it. It seemed as if the slime (not really slime, but that's kind of how it felt) was growing from the healthy side of the frag. I have no clue whats going on. Please help.

TIA

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

May we please have an image at night as well as during they day.

You might as well list parameters including, alk, cal......

Are you feeding it? How far away from the lighting?

4. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I haven't fed it in a couple weeks. Its under a pretty good amount of light, almost complete center of tank (40B) and under a BoostLED Mu 135 mounted about 10"s above the water ~18"s over the coral. I'll have to get back with the test results in a little bit and see if I can snap some photos.

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

mag 1280
    cal 450
    dKH 16.5
    SG 1.026
    Temp 80

It's only the second time I've tested mag, cal, and dKH, but I think I fairly certain I did it right.

Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite... 0

I know it's probably not the best to pull it out but it was the only way I could get pics, plus I wanted to try and get a better look for pests. Here are a few pics..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "slime" if you can see it...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  6. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

7. mikeattack

mikeattack Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe that might be a type of sponge.

Your dkH is pretty high Coastie.

For me, blastos are not huge light lovers, I have melted a fair share of them by thinking they needed more light and saved more by placing them under less intense lighting.

If it were mine, I would find a way to get the dkh to 9-11, feed the blasto routinely every couple nights (meaty frozen fish food) and put it in an area of less intense lighting if appropriate.

It's a pretty little blasto

Good Luck

10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Corailline is right on about the care, although, I think if your dKh was really 16.5, they would be dead by now, lol. You probably read the test wrong. Personally, I like the temp a little lower at 77-78, and mag around 1450 or more.

Keep them on the bottom, especially with that led fixture you have.

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

It is quite possible I read the test wrong, but if not how would I manage to get my dKH down? A water change?

Everything else in the tank is doing fine. My green birdnest is growing like crazy and PE is amazing. I'm stumped really. It could be the light, but it seems like it would have started melting away a lot sooner than now. I have moved it to a more shaded area for now though. Hope it pulls through. :(

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

It's the light, for sure. Mostly, people are concerned about enough light for high light SPS. Your fixture can smoke LPS.

If you didn't add anything to get your alkalinity up that high, then the test result is wrong. Also, your calcium would precipitate out.