blasto - a "fairly rare coral"?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by conjuay, May 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

I came across a site that listed blasto as a 'fairly rare coral', this seems incredible to me considering my month old colony has produced to new colonies!

What constitutes "rare" (besides Ebay seller's titles) in corals?
    Here is a link to that site:
    Blastomussa

How can these be rare when they reproduce so easily?:-/

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What constitutes "rare" (besides Ebay seller's titles) in corals?

The price they can get for it makes it rare I guess was a hard one to get many yrs ago but its pretty common place now days . Some color variations make them more expensive then some others ..And that one is not that rare I had a huge colony until my son did some stupid stuff a few months ago and killed it off. It was at my house in Va. Lost the whole thing.. Along with everything else.. Flea Bay LOL I'd sooner buy a Used car from a guy named Big Slim Shady at Big Al's only driven on Sundays used cars then buy from that site.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Ebay aint bad, if you know what your looking for and set your mind on only getting that brand at that price and quality.

1 person likes this.
  5. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Before this gets into a discussion of the merits and problems with Ebay, I just mentioned them due to the large number of coral that are listed there as "RARE"
    The site I mentioned is an INFO site, I don't believe they are involved in selling anything.
    I was just asking why Blasto's would be considered "Fairly rare".

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

all lps is conciddered endangered.that being said,most are not rare and people are making a killing selling them per head or polyp.i hate seeing beautiful specimens broken into peices to sell at outragious prices.its a fad ,and the prices are already coming down a bit but i doubt those small frags will every reach the size of the original.i'd like to see some before and after frag pictures showing growth over any reasonable amount of time,say,less than 3yrs

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Blastomussa is photosynthetic and does not take any known foods. (Taken from the link you provided)

It is quite interesting how you find varied info from site to site. I rely on information from experienced reefers and my own experience. I feed mine mysis twice and week. Not only does it take food, it has nearly doubled in size....

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Those may be Acans then.....

10. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Yeah, that's something I've noticed with mine. Although I don't target feed, there definitely is a mouth, and I've watched mine capture stuff and move it towards the mouth.
    You're right, I've seen `completely contradictory information from site to site, Mostly with regards to light and water flow preferences of various corals.
    Everyone tells you to research before purchasing! And yet different sites give different info on the same coral. Researching can only get you so far, after that it seems you have to rely on your own instincts and observations.
    Thanks everyone!

11. deepbluesea

deepbluesea Astrea Snail

all my blastos eat and i have wellsi and merlati strains.