Unresolved BLAH Red Hair Algae?? (VIDEO ADDED!)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Wait...cyano/red slime is not hairy. Is it maybe growing over some "regular" hair algae? Or is this hairy red algae something different?

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

It most definitely is hairy, strands coming off it. So it's possible it's not cyano?

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

From the picture you posted, I would say that it most certainly is cyano. I'm not seeing any "hairs" in the picture though.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yes unfortunately I could not capture the hairy sinews in the pic, but they are most def there. As I was leaving for work I noticed hairs coming off my zoa frags too near the prob area.

6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

aaargh, still fighting this red hairy algae beast in my tank. I did my best to siphon out the bigger clumps/mats of it on the sandbed area that's infected. It was looking much better for a day but then came back again, not as concentrated but I saw the hairs this morning again in the same area on the sandbed.

It's also beginning to pop up on my LR now in patches all over, it starts out like deep red (almost looks like coraline at first) and then begins to form hairlike filaments as it grows. If you disturb/agitate the water near it, you realize the red is a mass of hairlike/slime, it breaks off and the hairs float into the water column.

I have ordered 2 more powerheads to increase flow, have cut back on feeding & light, cleaned all the gunk out of my existing powerheads, & have begun rinsing the frozen cubes I feed with.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm confused as to what I'm battling. If cyano doesn't have hairs, then it's def not cyano, this has long strands, red, mat-like, sinewy-web like almost.

I will try to get some video/pics up of it tonight. Frustrating but if anyone can chime in to help I would appreciate it!

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

What lighting do you have? How long do you have your lights on for?

8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm running a 260w PC fixture that is only about 2.5 months old so I'm fairly sure it's not the bulbs as I got them brand new.

I run an 8hr light cycle, with 30 min actinic dawn/dusk, but 8hrs light total.

10. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

You can cut down on lighting, Thats what I did cut down on lighting, Water Changes, Manual remove it, Ran phosphate remover. And trust me I have fought it all cyano, red slime, GHA, That dusty algea on the glass. I have gotten rid of it too.

11. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Never came back neither ;D

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Very good to hear, how much should I cut back, a 4hr light cycle? Will my corals (xenia, pom poms, goniopora, mushrooms, zoas, frogspawn, hammers, sinularia leathers, cabbage leathers, toadstool, GSP) suffer from the cutback? How many days shall I run the shorter cycle.

Also, how long did it take you to get rid of your algae probs?

Thanks!