Urgent Black Spots On Clownfish

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by JJL, Apr 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

don't they just come from age too

Cause I don't have frogspawn but my clown has them

or maybe from el candycane

2. Click Here!

3. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

They get them from any coral that stings, Torch, Frogspawn,Hammers etc...anemones..once they get used to it, the spots disappear.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

[​IMG]
    Are these also sting marks? (taken of my dominant clown this morning....)

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yes these are the same things...

6. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

would any of the following be likely culprits? candy cane coral, blastomussa merletti, open brain coral (I've never seen anything that extends more than 1/4" past the coral itself), zoas, palys? If not, I know what it is... I'm just trying to figure out what it may be attempting to get to host it.

7. saints fan 420

'anemonefish' will get black spots when they come into contact with corals they are not familiar with

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

its called hypermelanizatation, which is basically a sting from corals..

these black spots can also be black ich, which is a parasite and needs to be treated.. but this is hardly ever seen in home aquariums..

as long as fish is eating and swimming around fine then dont sweat it and they will go away

1 person likes this.
  10. kreator

kreator Flamingo Tongue

One of my clowns had this really bad too right after I purchased my first anemone, I have never seen them close to any of my anemone, but it did go away after a couple weeks.

11. saints fan 420

here what Fenner said:
    Dark Spots on Clownfish
    hello
    I have a question on my perc clown fish. I have had him for 3 years and now he is getting black spots on him. his nose looks a little red also, I am very worried. I haven't any other fish in the past year except for 6 peppermint shrimp. my alkalinity is 10 .no ammonia or anything else in the water. I have herd a little about black spot disease in yellow tangs but I don't have any in my tank. I am very worried, can you help me?
    Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information site (and see pix there too)... This organism would have to "come in" most likely on a Zebrasoma... and Clowns are very unlikely possible hosts... So "what is it"? Likely nervous expression (melanism) resultant from "environmental stress"... cumulative chemical/physical challenges, perhaps nutritional deficiencies... I would do the standard testing of your water for what you can, add some live rock, supplement/alter the foodstuffs you generally offer... And take heart in realizing that Clownfishes do "get spots" sort of like "age spots" in humans with age...
    Bob Fenner>

12. BTowned

BTowned Peppermint Shrimp

I've seen a true perc almost turn black from the stings trying to use a big colony of AOG as a host, so yes the palys can sting them too. Definitely the LPS will sting them.....