Black Spots on clown fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by greysoul, May 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

So I've heard two things about these black spots on my Clown fish. Stings or Black Ich / black spot disease. Can't find info on any.

Here's the best pic I could take. The spots started showing up after I added some frog spawn frags and the clowns started to host on it. So it seems to me most likely that the corals are just stinging their new friends, and doing some minor scale damage... but with mention of disease I figured I'd get a second through fortieth opinion here :)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Black Spot Disease looks just like normal ich but they are black ( I had it on my yellow tang). I also think you are on the right track of sting/irritation.

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

some spots are small clusters, barely visible as individuals, but in a small cluster. Others seem to be a single scale. I will keep a close eye on them

Thanks for the help

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Do these clowns happen to host in zoa's/paly's?

7. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i see those too when im drunk or high....just kidding...lol

but seriously my black and white clown fish had one of those spots, i fed it selcon and garlic soaked food and it went away.

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have zoas, they ignore them as far as I've seen.... not at the tank 24/7. The spots appeared after I put in some frogspawn frags, so it's hard to ignore the timing. The LFS that I got the frags from said his frogspawn (the one in his DT, not the ones he sells, per se) doesn't sting his clownfish...will the adapt/acclimate to the stingers or am I destined to have freckled clowns from now on?

10. Clutch

Clutch Astrea Snail

Any final word on this? Since I placed my Rose BTA in 5 days ago, my clowns are getting speckled in a hurry! 3 out of 4 have spots and the smallest one does not as he is mostly pushed away from entering the BTA. The largest clown, and the one who spends the most time in there, is speckled the most. Other than that, all the clowns are lively as ever with some of them diving into the BTA like Olympic divers!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Clownfish are resistence to black icks..my lfs guy told me, but tang is not resistence to black icks. He also told me it can be bruises from other fish as well.

I asked same question to the lfs guy =p