black sand?????

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by privateer, Apr 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. privateer

privateer Plankton

Hmmm...I have some black spots in my sand,an area about 2 inches across on the side,and a large area on the bottom(looking up from inside the stand). I believe it is algae that got trapped under the sand when I put it in the tank. Will this be a problem? Should I try to get it out?

Gotta luv the pirate [smiley=pirate2.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 2, 80%]Hey privateer,

Aren't you the one that used used sand-blasting silica sand?? I believe you are.

I would like to tell you that the spot is algae. The trouble is, it could be a host of other things, considering your sand's origins. You say it is larger at the bottom, than at the top?? Heavier than water??

Have you got anythng live in that tank yet?? If so, what?? Could you give me a detailed description of the dark blot??
    [/glow]

4. privateer

privateer Plankton

Yes, thats me.........the spot does not seem to be spreading. I have it on one side of the tank it is about half way down into the sand bed. The other spot is under the tank, if you craawl into the stand and look up , you can see it. It is definitely BLACK not just dark.I have none on the surface of the sand,nor is it close to the surface.The only thing living in the tank is the critters growing on the rock, worms, sponges etc. I have lots of the small tube worms growing. Oh boy...................I hope I don't have to break it all down . [smiley=worried2.gif]

5. Wrassman

I'm sorry dude, but it sounds like you have some kind of contaminant in the tank. I would take a sample of that spot to my LFS and see if they can help you determine what it is. My guess is that it is oil, or paint; or oil-based paint. It didn't show up in the sand until it had time to collect in one spot, which it has done. The good news is, that may be all of it. Oil has a tendency to collect in one spot in salt-water, and after it does, you can vacuum it out. I hope so...

Good Luck, Dude!!!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

New sand often gets whacked out with colors and algae, this may not be cause for too much alarm. I have seen black, green, blue, etc..

But, that said, I am all for getting it checked out. Especially considering the kind of sand it is.

I believe in spot-vacuuming too. Some don't.

7. privateer

privateer Plankton

Ok guys... I just got home from work and  did some work on it, I was able to extract some of this sand. It had no smell, it did not float off the sand or separate in any way. I could not feel it on my fingers. I was at a loss until I shook up the jar that it was in. It seperated from the sand into a  recognizable shape. Algae...then I smeared it across  a white napkin, and low and behold........its green. My theory is that it  is decomposing algae. any  thoughts???

ps As far sa having my lfs test it....I'm lucky if they will test for ammonia , nitrite and nitrate [smiley=furious3.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

sounds like hydrogen sulfide to me. Not bad in smaller amounts, I've had blots of it, they all went away. I pumped up the flow in my tank and got a bunch of sand stirrers. I'd pick up some narrassus snails, conches, worms and sand activator packages. I'd check out garf.org, inlandaqua.com, ipsf.com

10. Wrassman

Well, privateer, I'm glad it wasn't oil or some other contaminant. But, I don't like the way that algae acted in the sand, do you?? Is that the way algae is going to behave in your sand all the time?? What else in your sand is acting screwy like that (i.e., bacteria, pods, et.al.)??

11. privateer

privateer Plankton

Wrass, I see no other problems at this point. I had a lot of algae in the tank when I put the sand in, and some of it got burried, I think it is this algae that is decomposing.I will run a test series later today and let you know how that turns out. I have new tube worms sprouting up here and there,and an abundance of sponge growth...some are getting quite large. I appreciate the concern but I think it will be ok. I am watching the tank VERY closely, and like I said, if I have to, I will replace the sand.

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

id just let it ride out your gonna have many different alges in a new tank, epsecially in the first 6 months this is the aging process of a new tank. so i wouldnt go replaceing the sand quite yet. because every tank goes thru it