Black sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by cosmo, Jun 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'm getting my new 90g set up from plan2build in the next week or so.

I think I wanna try black sand, but I keep coming across reviews of it being magnetic? And thus getting in your magfloat and causing issues!

Also, has anyone found black sand at a Lowes or anywhere? I'm striking out so far! found a few places online, but seems a bit pricey!

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

OH NOOOOO not black sand!!! J/K :) I've never hear of it being magnetic. Now I gotta research it, thanks Cosmo :(

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol nana, me either, but was shopping online and found like 3 reviewers that said it was!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

While I like the look of black sand after a short time you will not like it. It will start showing pieces of white from any LR that gets chipped. I have seen lots of people who like the black but they alwyas end up not liking it after it turns salt and pepper. Also keep in mind that black sand will not buffer as well as aragonite.;)

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I've tried in on a small tank before, and it did turn out to be magnetic. The tank ended up covered in scratches after it got in the magnet cleaner. IMO, it;s cool on paper, but just doesn't apply well.

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I use black sand and I love it. You do get the white rock chips live Vinny says but like the salt and pepper look. It hasn't stuck to my magnetic cleaner and I've been using it for almost 18 months. The only time it did get in my cleaner is when I was doing the bottom of the glass the magnet got away and when the sand stirred up when I moved the glass side of the cleaner trying to recover the magnet it got in.

8. Click Here!

9. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

I had black sand for a small period of time about 3 months

It stands out but I did scratch my tank and now I know it must of been because it was magnetic
    Also keep in mind most of the mag floats are black on the scrub side so if there is only a few specs you may not see them.

10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

hey cosmo, there are a few types, and apparently there is one that isnt magnetic, I have yet to find it. if you look at my build and I know you have, you know I have black sand. its magnetic, and while its visually pleasing, its not functional for a few reasons,
    1. there is metal in it so its magnetic
    2. who knows exactly what kind of metal it could be
    3. no magfloat. hand scrapers only. P.I.T.A...
    4. doesn't reflect well, causing 2 problems I see, the tank looks dimmer, and the bottom of sps colonies get no light reflected back to them, causing the underside to have little to no PE.
    5. no sand sifters, as they take the sand through their gills, the metal could cut them.

I am currently working on removing it, bits at a time to avoid problems, its to bad cause its really nice. I will keep it BB for a while, then slowly add about 1/2-1" of white sand :(

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Wow, got the pros out on this! Ok so regular sand it is! I just replaced the CC substrate to sand in my 55g, I think I'll use that for the sump that's coming with the system! I kinda knew what the answers would be, but I was naively hoping to hear the opposite of what I had read!

Thx for all the help peeps! ;)
    14 hour round trip drive for this tank, but it'll fit just right, and it looks alot better (has a full stand and hood) so the girlfriend will stop whining about "all the wires" and Biocube won't come over and do wire management for me, so this is should work out great! Will have plenty of excess equipment after the transition so if ya need anything ya see in my build thread or 2 brand new metal hallides send me a PM

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Haha congrats on the new tank! You pay for the plane ticket and I'll come make your wires all pretty.

The question I have for you is..... Are you going to make anyone LED system or upgrade your current setup?