Black Ribbon Eel

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by aussie_reef, Mar 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aussie_reef

aussie_reef Plankton

i saw a young black ribbon eel at my lfs today and he says i can keep it in my community tank because of its small mouth. He knows i hav 2 black occelaris clowns 1 clown tang 2 pyjama cardinals 1 mandarin fish 1 cleaner wrasse 3 marine cats and 1 white ear damsil.It doesnt seem right that i'd be able to put an eel in there without losing fish but if it was compatible it would make a good addition to my tank.If anyone has any experience with this it would be good to hear wat you think. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

To be honest, he will eat what can fit in his mouth, sometimes more! I would never put an eel in with those fish that you listed. He was most likely trying to make a sale(LFS guy), there not supposed to be too hardy in captivity. He would most likely eat what he could then die... But that's just what I have read so it is up to you, if it was me I would stay away from eels in a community tank.

4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I agree.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Wow, there's an understatement. These should never be ordered by a LFS unless it's a special order for an advanced aquarist. If it was purchased by the LFS because it was "On Sale" or because "They didn't know", well shame on that LFS.

6. aussie_reef

aussie_reef Plankton

thx foe the replies i think i'll give this one a miss

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

The only thing I would house with an eel would be a lionfish....I have seen them together and do well....with one huge yellow tang in the tank also....