black light on coral Q's

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by 1.0reef, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

so would you consider some of the led lighting available at the moment that use uv leds in their mix of blues and whites to have a negative effect on someones tanks?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I can't seem to see a benefit from UV on a fixture. A UV sterilizer I understand, in a fixture with all the mentioned cons.... I would find something with more actinics instead.

4. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

i vaguely remember reading somewhere that a little uv encouraged colour in some corals as a defence?
    i'd have to look pretty hard to find where i read that and could be remembering wrong anyway, but would hope the light manufacturers have something to justify why theyve added them.
    i dont know enough to argue for or against these, just wondering really.

(sorry, sometimes tapatalk will pick words for me!)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Fluorescent lights will put out a small amount of light in the UV spectrum, I would imagine MH lamps will as well.

The problem is that a UV only or "black" light concentrates the light in this spectrum, so there is much more of it..

6. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

i took out the black light bulb out of the fixture and want to replace it with a T5 bulb is my plan.