Black ghost knife fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Gexx, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

Im wondering if i could get a BGK. My tanks heavily planted with tons of rockwol and overhangs and A sandy bottom. I have mainly bottom feeders. It sounds like i couldtake care of one but i wondered if anyone on here had any experience with them.

Thanks,
    Gexx

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What size is your tank? BGK are totally nocturnal, get rather large and are a predatory fish. Poor eyesight they depend on an electric organ and receptors distributed over the length of their body in order to locate insect larvae.
    IMHO-not a fish for the aquarium. It's a personal preference :)

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I personally have to disagree. If you have the proper size tank and can feed them properly each day they are awesome fish and can be quite happy.The big question is how large is your tank.

They get up to 12" long and need a large tank. I had juvenile in my 55g freshwater tank before I went to saltwater and I can say that it was my favorite fish I have ever had. He was only 3" long at that time and I definitely would have had to upgrade before he got much bigger and they grow really quickly.

He used to "sleep" during the day, but as soon as I put bloodworms in the tank, he went wild! I actually trained him to eat out of my hand and he knew when it was me vs. another person.

If you have the right sized tank and can provide proper feeding, they are awesome fish. As Nana said, they eat worms/ insects, so you need to provide them with high quality versions of those. Also, they are not strictly predatory (aka they won't actively look for other fish to feed on like piranhas) but if another fish can fit in its mouth it will probably eat it sooner or later.

Proper tank size + proper feeding= happy black ghost knife :)

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

+1 ->> 100% I had one for a few years when I had FW. Also trained him to hand feed. My favorite FW fish for sure. I also had gouramis, split tail minnows, cory cats, and a few others I'm forgeting.....My Ghost never became dominant. I would feed it blood worms out of a syringe.
    It only died when I stupidly put 2 quarter turtles in my tank and they ate him. I soon after migrated to a salt water tank cause I got bored with out my GK, I was like "Man, I'm not spending another $20.00 on a fish, let me try out salt water instead.......:-[" lmao

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yea... the word expensive is definitely a relative term. I thought the same thing when I got my BGK and then i got into salt, where $20 is pretty much the minimum lololol

1 person likes this.
  7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

Its a 55 gal. Sorry it tooks so long. We're outta state and finsing a signal is kinda hard sometimes haha

8. Click Here!

9. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

Im also using T5 lights (4x54w) would this be too much since they prefer darker habitats?

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just get a clear tube, (i.e. cut a water bottle top and bottom off like I did) or buy one of the $20 tubes they sell....It's your choice. Mainly they like close quarters when it's bright out. But, they don't dislike the light.

11. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

So even tho itll be bright in the tube, theyll be ok?

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

You'll find it sleeping like a baby in no time in that tube. lol

They have beady eyes. They actually sense other animals around them with minute amounts of self produced electricity.