Black and white OC Clown fish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by pink4miss, Oct 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

And I have 4 of them that were very orange about 7 months ago when added to my system and they are all black now. The guy I got mine from gets about 20 at a time and they are orange as a juvi and black when they grow.

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

ok... the ones you are talking about might. but not all b&w clowns come from near your house.

4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Nope they dont but the person the bred the black into these fis is from near here. they are not a fish wild caught they were tang bred to be black that person is from maine so they started in maine and moved out from there. same with the platinum ones. they will yes change. I have seen many probally 100 sold and only one or 2 not changed soon after not to say they wont but 99.9 will. :)

5. gabbagabbawill

so, you're telling me that EVERY tank raised B&W clown originated in Maine? I don't think so. stop trolling.

Also, how do you explain the ones that are solid B&W as juveniles?

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks :) i did get the one from liveaquaria. and the other one from the local fish store. they are both tank raised and look a lot a like.. was at the local store today and they have larger oc black clowns that are all black and white. great price to 29.99 each for the black faces.

i really am hoping they become all black and white. but what ever they are thats what they are. at least they seem to get along even though one is hogging the anemone. and pushes the other out. uuurrrggh. but out of the anemone they hang out together. i guess with any creature you just never know.

i just read they dont mature and become male or female till about a year to 2 years. well thats another question. lol

thanks everyone for your input . will update if they change.

7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Depending on the fish and origin and how the fish matures. I had a pair of B&W clowns from petco. they got all black within a few months.

Ive seen some change some not. So like all stated above.. depends on the fish.

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Just read about them everything says they change. I am not trolling I have alot of exp with these fish. Just giving my exp with them not trolling. your have the agrguement here not me. im just giving what many have seen including the many I have see go through my system as my wife had a tank with many of them for along time at one time over 10. Thanks though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

B&W Oc. clowns come from Darwin, Australia; althought any that you would buy are more then likely captive bred. Not many, if any, are collected from the wild anymore.

11. gabbagabbawill

I believe that MANY B&W clowns in the hobby ARE a morph of selectively bred clowns, which are the ones which mirandacollc refers to.

But the wild caught ones are in fact "true" B&W clowns, and not selectively bred. These are sold as Australian B&W Clowns in the hobby and go for about $50-60 each. They are rarer and harder to get stateside because of shipping, like most species from Australia. The ones I've seen sold as Australian B&W Clowns are solid B&W and don't have orange faces, even as juveniles.

Mirandacollc, I do not believe you have all the facts, which is why I'm arguing my case. I called you trolling because you are posting your anecdotal experience as fact and your statements that all B&W clowns came from Maine is not a reasonable one, but you keep repeating it instead of listening to logic.

12. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

No; full black and white ocellaris clowns all originate from Darwin, Australia. There are onyx perculas which have black mixed in with the orange, not sure if thats what you are thinking of. But all B&W Oc. are origonally from Darwin and were not selectively bred. In fact, you cant take a regular oc. and "tan" it over generations to get it black. I don't believe there has been any collection of wild B&Ws in a long time.