Bit of a scare

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Lungz, Apr 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

So I finally got around to taking pics of my fish, and upon inspection, I realized I couldnt locate my 5 inch bumble bee. so i frantically started looking around the ornaments, when finally i spotted him inside one of them. i lifted the ornament up to get a better look and he appeared dead. so i lifted the ornament ( shaped like a gnarled branch) and he gave a flick of his tail as if to tell me to get him the hell out. so i gently used my finger to feel around and evaluate the damage. he was definetly stuck he couldnt go backwards.

now this guy always was an open part of tank swimmer never had an interest in any of the ornaments so im not sure what possesed him to inspect the inside. anyways i had my wife fill up a rubbermaid container in the tub and i dosed it with chemical remover and slime coat and put the ornament in.

lol the fun part was about here as i couldnt figure out how to get him out. i didnt want to pull him as he would have ripped his gills out or torn in half. so i did what any decent pet owner would do and i gently ripped my 40$ ornament in half. he flipped out and sank to the bottom halfassed swimming around. i was kinda bummed cuz i didnt think he would make it. so I put my heavy duty air pump and hose on to get some circulation dropped some food in and went to bed feeling like i had done all i could.

Fastforward to morning. I wake up and immediatly all i can think of is "am i going to have to throw this guy in the garbage?" so i go down to my bathroom and look in the rubbermaid and lo and behold i see my buddy swimming around in the bubbles. i scooped him out and acclimated him back into the 60 and he has been swimming around happily since.Anyone else have stories like this?

this is a picture of him after the incident.
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...28687026816_503986815_9652593_353298219_n.jpg

The middle ornament is the one in question. which has since been broken in half
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...28680806816_503986815_9652548_536184512_n.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Good story ...happy ending...the best kind. : )
    ....most folks I know don't use ornaments (in Salt Water)...but some of the live rock can be an issue, I would guess.
    Glad it worked out for ya...triage..lol. : )

4. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

i dont want to use ornaments either but they came with the tank and my DW isnt ready yet and it looks very lame with nothing.....so i was forced to use the ornaments :(

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

agree...I used to use them also..better than an empty tank for sure !;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

oh well as soon as my DW is done tainiting water than my tank shall be a sight for sore eyes......I hope lol. i know it doesnt look it but that tank is 4 feet long and 2 feet tall.

1 person likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats on the positive outcome.

1 person likes this.