Birdfeathers Coldwater/NPS Tank Round 2

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Birdfeather, Nov 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

Well after much deliberation with myself, I've decided to stop keeping sps's and nps's in the same tank. It's far more work than than its worth so I'm separating all my NPS's and making a dedicated cold water tank. Which I will be keeping around 68-71 degree's.

Here is my old thread and all the NPS"s from that tank will be moving to this tank.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...er-tank-20-gallons-132526-3.html#.UpOyWeLXvZY

Anyways unlike my old build I'm going to show the progress of the tank being built.

Anyways. Time for the fun to begin.

I picked up this 34 Solona from a local forum member for cheap. Although I got a great price I'm really OCD with my tank and wanted to make it look brand new. So I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone and make sure it holds water and give it a vinegar bath simultaneously. After I determined the tank was leak free, I re-finished the stand and recondition the wood to give it a brand new finish

Here is a before.
    [​IMG]
    And after.
    [​IMG]

Equipment: I will be updating this and editing it as I go along, as some of this equipment Items are not set in stone.

Jbj 1/10 Chiller
    Nextreef Mr1 Media Reactor w/ rowaphos
    JBJ ATO
    EcoTech MP10
    Custom built 15 gallon sump and refugium
    Skimmer I'm undecided on still. I need something that can handle the heavy feedings of an NPS tank.
    Maxspect razor(only going to run when I'm spectating the tank otherwise i'm going to keep the light off completely.)
    30 lbs. of rock from BRS: 10 lbs. Tonga Shelf rock, 20 lbs. of Fiji

As far as some of the NPS corals I already have in my current tank I have the following:

Orange Chilli coral
    Purple Chilli coral
    Walking Dendro
    Black Sun Corals
    Orange Sun Corals
    Dendro
    Deep sea Japanese anemone
    Blueberry Gorg.
    Spiral Coral
    NPS Sea fan.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

4. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's probably a good idea. So many creatures in nature have different needs. Hard to balance everything in one tank.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Yeah...doing a SPS and NPS tank is tough...trust me, as I am running one as well. After lots of research, I too decided not to do the soft coral NPS in this tank as well...just too much work. I love the Solanas...now you have me mentally spending more money!

Good luck with the new tank. Following.

7. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

I've done it successfully for almost 2 years now, but the water is a colder then my sps's would like, and warmer then my nps and coldwater species would like as well. I feel like spot feeding also will be way easier in a dedicated tank. Because in my current tank, all the fish and shrimp and stuff are always trying to steal food out of my sun corals and dendro. Not only that but I have to put a lot of extra effort in placement in the tank for the NPS coral because I've got such a bright l.e.d. fixture for my SPS's, it will be nice to have a whole tank to work with :)

8. Click Here!

9. Birdfeather

Birdfeather Bristle Worm

The aqua scape has began. It's still in it's very juvenile stage but it's coming along slowly but surely.

[​IMG]