Bionic Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by RPM1, Mar 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

The sun doesnt shine every single day. There are storms and clouds that hang around for days. you will be fine with no lights for 3 days. And I also suggest trying to add some beneficial bacteria to your system. Microbe-Lift 'Special Blend' will help.

2. Click Here!

3. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Skimming like crazy the last two days, once it got rid of all the Chemiclean I put in. Carbon running, blankets still over the tank, tomorrow afternoon will be three days and I will take them off. Don't plan on turning the lights on tomorrow but will start with my royal blue LED's only for a few hours on Thursday. The PH is 8.3 in the no light condition and the Alk is 11.5. I will run the full battery of tests tomorrow. Ordered some bacteria, should be here tomorrow.

One question remains. Why doesn't my cheato grow in this tank?

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I look forward to seeing how your tank is doing tomorrow. I'm not sure why the chaeto wont grow though. I have the same problem lol.

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I agree, keep us updated. Chaeto likes light but not too much. It also likes to "tumble" which is turn over frequently. These are often not the conditions you want in your refugium. Which is partially why I want to do an ATS and a refugium.

6. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

I tested everything today and turned the blue LED's on for about six hours. The fuge light also went on tonight. Nitrates were at 2 and my phosphates were 0.16. I wonder if all the Dino dying bumped the levels up. Dumped the second cup of crap out of my skimmer. All the slime looks dead. All the coral appears to be OK. I will turn the blue LED's on for eight hours and the white LED's on for two tomorrow and see what happens.

I have been buffering and adding Alk steadily. The PH was 8.2 today and the Alk is
    slightly over 11. Everything else looked good except the strontium. I do not know why I can't keep the strontium up either.

On another note my second black clown scummed to whatever funk claimed the other fish. I have read the Dino can cause several diseases so I am blaming everything on the Dino. Just have my hippo and a cleaner wrasse left. So besides the fact it sucks losing 80% of my fish. This little episode has cost me a chunk of change. I still don't know if it's over.

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

It sounds like you are probably turning the corner. Keep up on the water changes!

8. Click Here!

9. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

The water has been cloudy the last couple of days. Today it is finally clearing up. Just tested some things. The Nitrates are .5, Phosphates are still up at .19, PH is 8.27, Alk is now sky high, I tested it twice one at 15.4 the other at 15.17. Still dumping a full skimmer cup worth of crap every day and a half, but I'm skimming pretty wet.

I see a slight tinge to the sand in the back and I wonder if it's coming back. My lights are back on the controller but a eight hour cycle. My only other issue is my red tabling acro is starting to bleach and I have two pissed off ricordea's. I would almost bet it's the increased Alk. I will do a 20% water change tomorrow and see if it helps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012