Bionic Cyano

Discussion in 'Algae' started by RPM1, Mar 10, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

So your saying gee wiz another cyano thread la ti da.... But something is going on I can't figure out.

First the breakdown. 150 gallon, under a DIY LED using CREE's on a ten hour cycle. I can give PAR readings if you want. Tank up since June 2011, started with dead rock, dead sand, RO/DI and cycled with Dr Tim's One and Only and ammonium chloride. began adding fish slowly after the param's came down. Weekly 15% water changes using Salinity salt and RO/DI out of my filter. Water out of the DI stage is 0 TDS, using an in-line monitor from Bulk Reef. If I start seeing any TDS on the monitor the filters, and DI resin get changed. I run a sump and fuge, SWC Mini S Skimmer and skim fairly wet. I run two Mag Drive 18's for the return split into four jets in the tank, and three Koralia 1400's for flow. Also have BRS reactors with charcoal and GFO. I ran bio-pellets for a while but stopped, thinking it was contributing to my problem. I alternate cotton filters with a fine mesh filters a few times a week for mechanical filtration.

As of February 1, I had three small to medium tangs, two medium clowns, and a cleaner wrasse in a mixed reef. Recommended CUC from Reef Cleaners. Coral growth isn't bad except my softies. I think the light is too much. I feed as much as my other tank, some say not enough for the tangs but they look (looked) good. I test with either Salifert, Red Sea Pro, or Hanna checkers. Parameters are; Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate .25, Phosphate .04, Calcium 475, Mag 1450, PH 8.25, Salinity 1.025, Strontium 5, Alk 9.73.

Now, for the last several months I have been attributing the cyano issue to new tank syndrome. I clean out what I can at night, check my Phosphates and Nitrates the next morning to try to get a better reading etc.

I start seeing my cheato die in December. People tell me my water is "Too clean." I call BS because the water in my other tank tests better, and it grows like a weed. I hear it's a flow issue but this stuff is growing on the grills of my Koralia's and around my acro's, the highest flow area's of the tank. I am also getting this white stringy stuff growing inside the power heads, that will blow out occasionally inside the tank. I have to take them out every couple days to clean them out.

Over the last two weeks, my fish have been getting sick with what looks like a white slime on the skin. In the hospital they went, but I lost everything except one clown, cleaner wrasse, and one tang. The clown is not looking well. This started with no additions so I assume its the cyano. I get sick of it, and nuke the tank with Chemiclean. Two back to back doses later, and this stuff is laughing, still growing and will not die.

At this point, my wife wants me to take the tank down because I can't get it under control and don't know what I can do.

Help, anyone?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Pictures would help.

4. BigJim

BigJim Spaghetti Worm

Are you positive it is cyano? I agree that posting pictures may help, because it sounds like you may have something else if Chemiclean didn't kill it.

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would have to agree with the previous two posters. I don't think you have a cyano problem, but we can't really help without some good pics of course. Your readings are looking good, so there has to be something feeding the algae problem of course. Have you tried the "black out" method"? No light at all of at least 4 days and covering your tank so no ambient light gets in either? That should really help you out when all else fails. Also, you could try reducing your photo period if you don't want to go that route. What are you feeding and how much?

I would also suggest checking this thread out:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/carbon-dosing-method-testing-started-107232.html

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Hey there,

NOthing else to add here. Your set up sounds nice and sounds like you're going about things well.

Now, could you email me about the Turbo in you avatar?
    Todd_Sails(at)yahoo.com

Sorry you lost livestock, stay with it, things will improve.

Check out my tank in my sig. if you would, thanks.

7. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

1) No haven't attempted the black out, was thinking about it. Not sure how it will effect the coral.

2) Pretty sure it's cyano. Red, slimy, stringy, blows off fairly easy with a turkey baster, dies down a bit overnight and comes right back when the lights come on, covers anything living, on the sand in places.

I am going to Reefstock right now I will attempt to get some pic's up when I get home.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That does sound like cyano. From what I have read about corals and black outs is that they should be fine for a few days without light.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Are you sure it's not also diatoms in there? The stringy part made me think of that.

ON another thread, an objective experiment seemed to favor the bio pellets. I may try some.

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Dinoflagellates get stringy, diatoms usually don't.

12. RPM1

RPM1 Fire Worm

Pictures. I took them with my daughters camers so they are not great. At 390 k though they are kinda small.

Attached Files: