BioCube Stock

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Beausoleiljacob, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

Hi 3 Reef,
    This is my first saltwater aquarium and I can't wait to start stocking my aquarium. I started planning my stock but have no idea what's compatible and what's not and overall what's suitable for my tank. It is 29 Gallon BioCube. For my CleanUp Crew what would you recommend. Would any of the packages at Reefcleaners.org? Anyways attached are the Corals and Fish I like and would like to have in my tank if possible. I know I can't have all of them of course. I just want something that would create a beautiful environment. For corals, I will have to start with the BioCube stock lighting and then upgrade to maybe a Aqua Illuminations Hydra 26 (is that a good choice?). Anyways here it is:

Corals I Like:
    Tree Coral
    Mushroom Corals
    Leather Corals (Mushroom?)
    Candy Cane
    Big Pipe Trumpet Coral and Trumpet Coral (Peaceful)
    Polyps (Zoas, Starburst, Palythoa)
    Ricordea
    Pom Pom Zenia

Fish I Like:
    Salin Fin Blenny
    Royal Gramma
    Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
    Neon Blue Goby

Kaudren Cardinalfish
    Firefish
    Blue/Green Chromis
    Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish or Black and White or Regular Ocellaris
    Cling Fish
    Orange Stripe Goby
    Yellow Head Jaw Fish
    Basslet
    Azure Damselfish or another
    Tail Spot Blenny
    Clown Goby
    Dwarf or Pygmy Angel
    Shrimps (Cleaners)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    zesty likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

Congratulations on your new tank.

The Gramma, Pink spotted Goby, Clown Goby, Clowns are all my favorite on the list.

Having had a nano almost identical to the bio-cube (had a bio-cube once too) it's my experience that the Yellow Headed Jaw fish belongs in larger tanks. Most Basslets with the exception of the Chalk can be quite aggressive, as well as the Dwarf Angel. In larger tanks the other tank mates can get away from more assertive fish, in a 29 there is just not enough territory to meet all the fishes needs.

All the corals are appropriate.

I have the Aqua Illumination 52 and I like AI products very much. You might consider the AI Prime as it is designed with the Nano tank in mind

Hope that helps.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

I was thinking of the Al Prime. The only thing I was concerned with is If It was truly enough lighting for high-intensity corals. The only benefit I saw with the Hydra 29 was the more light and the ability to use it in a bigger tank if I decided to upgrade. I don't know! Which do you think is best? Will the AL prime last, another benefit is the wife already built in. You definitely sound like you know your stuff so whatever you say is what I'm going to get! Also in terms of shrimp what would be a good option with the above fish. If it were you what would you stock with your favorites in numbers?

5. Corailline

You make a good point regarding upgrading and leaning towards the AI 26. The Prime would probably be more than enough. AI LEDS are mucho powerful.

The Banded Coral Shrimp is more out going than my favorite the Fire Shrimp. In a perfect world I would get a either a pair of Banded Coral Shrimp or a pair or single Fire Shrimp.

You'll either curse me or befriend me for posting the link below. :rolleyes:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=497 525

Beausoleiljacob likes this.
  6. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

I absolutely Love FIRE SHRIMP! They are so CUTE! :p Okay so my stock is for my 29 Gallon is:
    1. 2 Fire Shrimp or 2 Banded Coral Shrimp (CANT DECIDE) Both Cute:eek::p
    2. 15 Gallon Clean Up Crew or 20 Gallon Clean Up Crew (15 Gallon= 15 Dwarf Ceriths, 5 Nassarius, 8 Flordia Ceriths, 6 Nerites) Isn't that enough or No. I have NO idea.o_O
    3. Orange Stripe Goby, Pink Spotted or Griessingei Goby (Can you Pick Please)
    4. 2 Clowns or 1 which is Best? (Black Ice or Black and White) You Can Pick!;)
    5. Purple Firefish or Regular (How Many)
    6. Cardinal (How Many)
    7. Yellow Clown Goby
    8. Royal Gramma (I really Want one!)
    9. Azure Damsel
    10. Wrasse (Pygmy or White Banded)
    That's the end of my list. Would you be able to make a stock for me? Best compatibility and variety?:)

7. Corailline

Wait until you get some algae growth to get the cuc crew, you want to have something for them to eat. Personally I get a way with 5 snails Cerith and Astrea, and 1 hermit. You really do not need that large of a cuc, some will starve.

Four fish max for a 29 gallon.

So two clowns
    Royal Gramma
    Goby, pink spotted or a yellow watch man. I lean toward the YWM.

Royal Gramma and Fire Fish may fight when they mature, both fish use bolt holes and both fish have similar coloration and body shape, which often leads to aggression.

You could do

1 clown
    3 Fire Fish, they have to be young.

You could do

1 Azure Damsel (know that Damsel can get very aggressive when they mature but it may be able to stand up to 2 mature clowns)
    2 Clowns
    1 Royal Gramma

Hopefully someone else will chime in to offer their ideas on your stocking list.

:)

8. Click Here!

9. Beausoleiljacob

Beausoleiljacob Plankton

I like the first Stock the Best I think. Will I be able to have the 2 shrimp? Or no. Also would I still need the clean up crew with the shrimp?

10. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Hi! I also have a bio cube that has been up for about nine months. You may want to get a current maker because the one in the biocube is no where near enough and STAY AS FAR AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM DAMSELS!!! THEY ARE LITTLE DEVILS TO OTHER FISH AND CREATE A TERRITORY IN THE TANK AND ALLOW NO OTHER FISH NEAR. I had one in my tank from month 1 up until Monday which is when I got rid of it. I have 2 Firefish, a bar goby, a lawnmower Blenny, and a six line wrasse they are all good fish but the Blenny needs a special herbivore diet.
    Any way WELCOME TO THREE REEF

zesty likes this.
  11. bland8126

bland8126 Astrea Snail

Also I could help you out with some biocube things.

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

haha, I've seen so many people hate damsels, I've just never wanted to keep one. Some are pretty neat looking... devil in disguises? haha