BioCube Protein Skimmer?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by THIRSTYCREW, Jan 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. THIRSTYCREW

THIRSTYCREW Plankton

Well today i was going to set up my BioCube Oceanic Protein Skimmer that's mand for the BioCube but not sure if i'm doing this right . Here's the problem: it say's remove the cartridge from chamber 1 of the biocube. Using hanging clip on the reaction chamber, hang protein skimmer on the wall between chamber 1 and 2. Now here my problem do i keep the cartridge out or put it back in. Just make sure I'm doing this right :-/....Thank for any help.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

my suggestion is to take the cartridge out to make room for the skimmer but maybe think about replacing bioballs in the middle chamber to LR rubble with carbon filter laying on top. just a thought.

4. poker123

poker123 Plankton

I also have one of those skimmers and personally, I think it's a POS. But since we got them.....I have the 29 gal. cube. The manual says to hang the pro/skim using the clip on the inside wall (where the surface skimmer is)of chamber #1. Doing that would not only block my surface skimmer, but I wouldn't be able to close the hood because the collection cup and light cover don't seem to get along. I placed mine on the back wall using the suction cups that came with it in chamber #1. Still plenty of room for the filter if I chose to use it, the hood closes and enough room for a shorty water heater too. I wonder if the person who wrote those instructions actually TRIED installing one?
    If you have a 14g cube, then yes, you would hang it using the clip on the divider wall of chambers 1 & 2. That tank has 2 filter slots going left to right, not back to front like mine.(at least the one I saw) 1 near the intake skimmers and one more towards the center. Just put the filter in the 1st slot (near wall) and you should have plenty of space for the skimmer.

5. fusion150

fusion150 Plankton

Biocube protein skimmer in 14 Gallon Biocube

Have tried for the second time to get one of these working. They do NOT fit in the first chamber with a filter cartridge already installed. There is NO room left in that chamber with the skimmer in there. It is either or. Always had great water stats prior to the skimmer. Nitrates & nitrites are all going up one week later after removing the cartridge and installing the skimmer. It is foaming fine, but it seems that it will only remove clear water, or nothing at all. About ready to ditch it for what worked before before I kill all my fish / corals.

Has ANYONE had any success with these things?

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You need to dial back the air a little bit. More air pumps the bubbles through faster so they overflow into the cup while still set. Less air will force the bubbles to linger longer in the reaction area and they will be dry before they overflow into the cup. I would also recommend handing it on the surface skimming wall just because it will sit higher and thus give the skimmer more reaction time still.

I managed to fit one under the stock hood of my 8g Oceanic. I had to take the light splash guard off to do it, but I'm yet to see any moisture up there anyway. I also took the reflector that is over the wiring assembly off which allows light to make it to the rear chambers. I blocked the underpass from second chamber to third and am now using the second chamber as a fuge.

I would of bought one of these a long time ago if I knew how easy they are to mod up!

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I forgot one more thing. The airline valve that comes with the skimmer is junk. Replace it with a different one and you will see a world of difference.

8. Click Here!

9. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hey Mike,

I've got one of these skimmers in my 29gal cube. I've got it hanging by the clip on the wall dividing chambers 1 and 2. Do you suggest using the suction cups to raise it higher? I have the HQI so I could raise it a bit and still have it under my cover. Also, the airline valve you are talking about, do you mean the tiny needle valve? If so, where would you recommend getting a replacement? I've got my air dialed back almost all the way and regardless of where I set it, high or low flow, I can't get bubbles to build up. When I first installed it I got nice dry bubbles for about a week and I haven't been able to achieve that since.