Biocube 8 LED retrofit

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Say Car Ramrod, Sep 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Say Car Ramrod

Say Car Ramrod Plankton

After getting sick of $20 bulbs and lights making my tank run warm. I have used Cree LEDs a few times and I was curious to try some cheaper ones. I decided on 3 14,000k and 3 royal blue. I'm running them on a 20w "el cheapo" driver. The heatsink I'm using I just one I took from an older fixture that I made.

First off I just gutted the hood except for the fans.
    [​IMG]
    I decided to use some sand paper to rough up the plastic so the epoxy will have a little more surface to bite to.
    [​IMG]
    Got the heatsink epoxied in and I used some 3M snap lock to put the driver in in case it needs to ever be replaced. [​IMG]
    Here's it all put together on the tank. Seems like its the same amount of light just a bit bluer. The fans are running on 12v and are a bit louder since I believe the stock configuration on the biocube has them running on a lower voltage.
    [​IMG]

MarineDepot likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Very nice! I put a whole 120watt value fixture in my 29biocube. Just gutted the whole hood and mounted it in there. :p
    This looks clean tho great job!

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, good job! tank looks great - very clean

5. Say Car Ramrod

Say Car Ramrod Plankton

Thanks for the comments guys! Pretty pumped about how nice it turned out so I might have to keep it after I setup my 40b :-D

6. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Small tanks are fun! Now stuff a ton of corals in there! Lol