BioCube 29 sprung a leak!!

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by PlanB, Aug 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PlanB

PlanB Plankton

Ok, so I woke up this morning and by the grace of God I noticed a leak that just started. I removed all inhabitants and have them in buckets and 1 small 5 gal aquarium for the time being. I have a 29g sw biocube with around 20lbs of live rock, 2 fish, 1 invert, 20 gal live sand, and a few cuc guys, and 2 small corals.

My question is this: Do I have time to find and repair a leak or should I just upgrade to a new tank now and save time / headache and the possibility of this occurring again?

I have 2 clowns, 1 star, and a few turbo snails with 3 corals living at the moment in buckets and small aquarium. they all have bubble airstones. How long can these guys survive like this while I figure out what to do? I also have 20 lbs of live sand, still in the bottom of the BC29 without any water on top, just laying in the bottom.

Any advice would be MOST apreciated. I may have left some particulars out, due to my stress levels and the fact that I have not had anything to eat or my coffee. I know you guys are the most informative bunch out there, so I came here first.

Jeff

Tank has been set up for about 6 months, but I moved in the last week and I am thinking the moved stressed out the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Judging by what others have experienced with similar problems with Biocubes, I myself would make the upgrade.

Make sure it's truly leaking and not some type of condensation issue.

Good luck and as long as you are providing flow and maintaining temps without swings you should be fine for a couple days. You need to add what ever live rock to the bucket you can fit. The beneficial bacteria will die off quickly when exposed to air over a couple of hours.

4. PlanB

PlanB Plankton

Thank you, Corailline. Unfortunately it is not condensation. I see a crack along the bottom pane now..

Are the air stones sufficient for airflow?

Any advice as to what to upgrade to? and Size? One that will allow me to just add the water back?

5. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

I agree. go for the up grade. As long as you are moving the water around you should be OK for a couple of days. Make sure your rock stays underwater as corraline said. As far as what to upgrade to I am a bad bad person to ask. I went from a 34 gallon Red Sea (great plug and play tank) to a 55 to a 180 in about a year. My only advise would be go as large as you can afford. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

6. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Just make sure you keep the temp in check too in your buckets. As for an upgrade, I personally like the look of my new 40 Breeder. Or you could always go with a 29gal long.

7. PlanB

PlanB Plankton

OH man, thanks anpgp, I almost forgot the heater!!:eek:

I have decided to just go with a 14g BC. For these reasons primarily:
    1. It ships next day from amazon (i got the free shipping/3.99 next day membership deal, which I plan to cancel before I have to pay membership fees for)
    2. Its smaller, so I can move it easier, which is really important for me at this time in my life. I am an apt dweller after all ;D
    3. Its on sale for only 171.55. Which to me is a steal. (opinions? I can take them all ;))
    4. I have to make a quick decision. LFS will rip me with thier prices and if I decided to go bigger at this time I would need a truck, which I do not have.
    5. I have everything I need, minus the stand, which I plan to build or buy local.

But I want to thank all for the advice. I did mean to post this in asap section, but this will do, after all I can breath now.