Biocube 29 gallon - Necessity or Extra?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Clowns'n'stuff, Apr 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clowns'n'stuff

Clowns'n'stuff Plankton

This summer i plan on getting a 29 gallon biocube. It will be housing 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 1 Orange Spotted Goby, 1 Marbled Serpent Seastar, 15 Scarlet Hermit Crabs along with a few hardy corals (no sps of any kind) such as mushroom polyps and leathers. I will be using the berlin method and incorporating 50 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand. I have been reading modifications on the biocube and this being my first saltwater tank i have little experience to judge which mods are necessary. The mods i've found are:

Chamber 1: Partially seal the bottom intake to increase surface filtration. Remove the filter tray. Remove the false bottom to create heater space. Cut the gap between chamber 1 and 2 so that the overflow is completely level.

Chamber 2: Purchase the CPR SR3 skimmer and replace the pump with the RIO+600 to eliminate loud noise.

Chamber 3: Leave sponge in place to catch bubbles but clean it weekly with tank maintenance to remove detritus and bacteria. I've read mixed reviews about replacing the stock pump with a Max Jet 900 Utility Pump. Some claim it to be a great addition while others claim it is too powerful. Some others say it is not needed.

I'm also considering adding a Hyder Koralia Nano.

Which of these modifications (obviously besides the heater) would be beneficial to my set up and which would be those that aren't greatly needed? Someone had told me the skimmer was overkill and not needed for that bioload with no sps corals. True? Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I have a biocube 29 and here is what I've done as far as mods so far:

1. Removed tab b/w chambers 1 and 2 to increase flow.
    2. Swapped out return pump for a Rio 1400
    3. Added a two little fishies phosphate reactor
    4. Put an Aquatic Life Internal Skimmer in Chamber 1
    5. Removed Bioballs and replaced with LR rubble
    6. Completely removed hood and am now running a Current Sundial 4 bulb T5
    7. Have 2 Hydor Koralia 1 powerheads

All of these are not necessary as I ran it stock for about 6 months without any issues. Although I am really glad I've done the mods, the lights above all else.

4. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

I put a back wall extension made of acrylic so the fish cant jump over it anymore.I kept the bioballs and use filter floss to keep them from getting gunked up.I kept the stock pump and added a rotating wavemaker to the return.I added a coralia nano.I put a red sea prism pro skimmer on the and removed the back lid to hang it.I put in a uv sterilizer.

5. Mistah J

Mistah J Flamingo Tongue

I have the koralia nano in my 10 gallon and it doesn't push much you may want to look at a bigger powerhead...

6. Ecthaelion

Ecthaelion Plankton

Biocube advice?

Any update on your BioCube? I'm thinking of getting one this fall.

After running yours a few months, I'd love to know:

* Is it noisy?
    * Does it run hot?
    * Is the standard flow inadequate?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

OP has not been on the site since his post.

8. Click Here!

9. Ecthaelion

Ecthaelion Plankton

Thanks 2in10. I'll start a fresh thread then.

10. muecyl

muecyl Feather Duster

You have seen the new Bio-cube by Oceanic right?

They have really made some nice adjustments to this, the only things I would add in your case would be the up-graded Maxi Jet, maybe the skimmer (but honestly try the stock first) this depends on your bio-load too, and the Hyder Koraila Nano.

here is a link-

Opentip.com: Oceanic BioCube 29 Gallon Aquarium w/ HQI Lighting

Note- you will have to buy an extra light for the back chamber if you decide to do the ref.