Bio-spira

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by jv3679, Dec 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jv3679

jv3679 Plankton

Need To Know.

I picked BIO-SPIRA and was told by the SPIRA rep that I could add fish in my tank shortly after adding the BIO-SPIRA soloutin. Does that sound right?

Also, yes my 15 gal tank might have been the wrong first tank choice but moving right alone what is a good goldfish type for this tank. I will get a larger tank in the future.

Thanx :-/

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

not saying their product is bad or anything just haven't you seen Matt's (Kingfish) Signature? Go Slow, Let it grow.... It's not just a saying.. I doubt you will find anyone here, that will say yeah it's cool, put in some magic potion and drop the fish in...it just isn't done that way......:)

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey mate!

Just go though some of the posts in the Newbie section about cycling: Click here.

As Matt always suggests: "Go slow, let it grow...!"

Good luck!

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Be patient and let tank cycle naturally. --- These "quick-cycle" products may work for a fresh-water tank, but not worth risking the problems they may cause in a SW one.

Good Luck!

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sounds risky!!!! Take your time...

7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Oh man how I hate Bio-Spira. When this product first hit the market, I got a batch of it in, and attempted to cycle a FW and another SW tank with it....What a mess that was. I ended up with two angry clients and a stupid expression on my face. I thought it was a bad batch, I got it replaced with a new batch and tried it out again, but this time on a tank was was setting up for myself, another FW...and guess what happened again? More death

sorry, this product is a CROCK.

I ended up finding out that the bacteria species in it are the same as cycle, stability, and the hundred of other bacteria supplements on the market. The only difference is that when you keep this in the fridge from the start, they can pack in a lot more bacteria. If you are using bio-spira, cycle out your aquarium as you would without it. Slowly and Steadily. It will slow down your cycles, but you simply cannot fully stock an aquarium as marineland claims.

good luck

8. Click Here!

9. jv3679

jv3679 Plankton

I thank you for the sound advice but I put two GF in the tank shortly after doing the BIO-SPIRA thing and I tested ammonia at between 2.0 - 4.0, nitrite at 0.50, nitrate at 5.0 and pH at 7.4. What can I do not to hurt my GF (Ying & Yang)? This is my 1st attempt at keeping FW fish. I am more of a snake person (1 corn snake & 1 milk snake).
    Thanx

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

make sure you have good water flow and aeration. Get something like cycle or stability and add double doze once a day until the ammonia and nitrites drop to zero. You're just gonna have to wait it out.