Bio Pellet Reactor/Media Opinions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mlott132, Dec 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

I think I am at that point that I need to consider adding a bio pellet reactor to reduce my high nitrate levels. I have tried vodka dosing and Red Sea No3Po4-x will little success. Looking for opinions on what reactor and media to purchase. I do not have a lot of space in my sump so the reactor needs to have a small footprint.

2. Click Here!

3. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

4. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

What size is your tank?

5. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

75 gallon display with a 25 gallon sump.

6. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Definitely get a recirculating reactor. .. or modify a normal reactor. You will have issues more than once where you will need to slow things down to a drip. .. And you can't do that with a normal reactor while keeping the pellets circulating.
    Reef dynamics is top of the line. I got the aqualund used for a good price and can't really complain. The reef dynamics has higher end pump and the nice lid.

8. Click Here!

9. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

So I ordered my reactor today. Ended up going with the Reef Dynamics unit. Didn't hurt that they have a 15% off coupon til Sunday. Now my question is about the bio media. What makes one better than another or are they virtually the same?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Check out the all in one bio pellets. I just got mine in and can't wait to give it a run. There supposed to remove more phosphate than other brands and it's a reputable manufacturer. I had good results with Dr tims bio pearls as well. NPX pellets I've seen little effect from in my tank. Different polymers make a huge difference.

11. mlott132

mlott132 Fire Worm

Just finished reading a thread on RC about these. Will definitely keep them in mind. For those not running these, are you still seeing a need to run a GFO reactor? Would have thought that by using the pellets there would be no need for GFO.

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

A). If you're giving biopellets a try, you should give Warner Marines pellets a go. They're the best by a long way in my experience.

B). Before you get there though, you need to figure out why vodka or no3po4x didn't work. Both of those done correctly will clear up nitrates in time. I'd figure out what prevent d that from happening because it's likely to cause the same problem with biopellets.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.