bio pellet reactor bacteria bloom sps ok?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ddubya, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Yes sorry I meant o2, and yes on the tumble I used the mesh screen mod(knitting guard) from michaels

2. Click Here!

3. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

just an update the water has cleared 3 days later, I did however lose 11 sps ouch all params check out except my ph I did have a jump from 8.2 to 8.8 the 1st 2 days, aside from that the tank looks as though nothing ever happened.
    The sps were only frags btw,and 1 colony

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Sorry to hear... If I lost 11 frags Id have nothing left in my tank. The 8.2->8.8 pH spike killed them, most likely? Whats the cause of this?

Sorry nonetheless..

5. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

I had a bad bacteria bloom from my newly added np biopellet reactor adition milky water for 3 days

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sorry to hear that. Bacteria lowers he pH though, via CO2. So, likely something else happened. Maybe a water change with water that wasn't fully aerated? Or I guess maybe if the bacteria died off quick the pH could have jumped, but alkalinity would have needed to be raised somehow. Anyways though, glad to hear the damage was limited.

7. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I just had the same issue, but not due to bio pellets. Woke up one day to cloudy water. Tried everything I could, but it took five days to clear up on its own and killed two LPS frags and one LPS colony. The only LPS that survived was my brain. My softies showed no damage, just weren't happy and my fish seemed unaffected.

Sorry for your losses, know how it feels.

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I was talking about the cause of pH spike and....

This was kind of my understanding as well. If there is excessive CO2 in the system, pH should go down in general and to counter this, it should be aerated the to dissolve more O2, correct?

Something must have caused the unbalance.